Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i keep having this problem with my battery dying! If the car sits for more than 3 days without starting the battery just dies. I take it to recharge it but its never the same afterwards.

Im going on my third one today and was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem. Oh, btw, i do have an amp thats not connected to the speakers but the wires are cancelled. thanks!

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Unhook that amp the rest of the way. See if it improves. If not, take the car to a parts store which tests charging systems. Autozone wheels a rig out to the car in their parking lot - if the greedy fools have enough employees in the joint! Sounds like your alternator may be on the way out, though. You've tried three different batteries?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
...yeah, im on my third one now. I bought a new amp last year, stock replacement. I have pulleys and a small amp but never had problems before.

I'll just take it to auto zone and see if they can diagnose this problem. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
89stangx3 said:
...yeah, im on my third one now. I bought a new amp last year, stock replacement. I have pulleys and a small amp but never had problems before.

I'll just take it to auto zone and see if they can diagnose this problem. Thanks for your help!
Sounds to me like something leaching the batt. while it's not running. You can look at your amp gauge while the car is running and tell if it's charging or not.

·
Registered
57 Posts
You have a parasitic drain in your car, so stop wasting money on new batterys:winks . If you have a DVOM at your place, or $30 bucks for one at a radio shack, (not the best, but great for at home use) put it on the 10A lead and disconect the battery. Make sure everything is off, (including the engine) and dont open any doors or turn on anylights on your stang. Then take the DVOM and put it from the disconected negative battery cable to the negative battery post. If you have a reading of more than .3A, start pulling fuses and figure out where the drain is coming from. When you find the fuse use your chiltons, or any manual for your stang and see what all the fuse is powering, then unplug them and retest the battery drain after each one. But please make sure you disconect between everything, because if you open the door, or use any extra power your DVOM fuse will blow. Im confident this is your problem, so if you dont feel comfortable doing this yourself take it to a shop, it will be alot cheaper than new batteries all the time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.