Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i'm new to this site. I bought a 98 mustang 3.8 a couple weeks ago. I changed the spark plugs and wires, and the oil/ oil filter. Now the car backfires and has no power. Can anyone help me figure out whats wrong with it?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Check to make sure that you plugged the wires in correctly- it sounds like you may have switched a wire when you swapped sparkplugs and wires That would cause it to screw up the firing order and thus backfire. It may also be a bad wire (not firing at all).

But dont take my word for it- wait for KS or another more knowlegable person to give their opinions...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked all the wires, made sure they were all in the right spot. I rechecked the gap on the plugs and they are all fine. I'm hearing a knocking or pinging type noise coming from the driver side. It seems that my driver side manifold pipe is getting to hot too. Could it be the o2 sensor?

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Firing order: 1-4-2-5-3-6

3 4

2 5

1 6

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I triple checked the spark plugs and wires and found a bad spark plug. But now I hear a cracklin noise coming from the left side. It's seems to be close to the cat. converter. Do you guys know what this could be. It seems like I fix something and something else goes wrong.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm curious if you solved the backfiring problem on your 98 V-6? I have a 98 V-6 Convertible that has the same problem. We just changed the spark plugs, wires and coil. It was running fine prior to changing these parts. Now it is backfiring??? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
684 Posts
the brand of items can play a big part.
And people dont realize, and maybe its different on the sn95s, but the coil pack 456 wires do NOT go in numerical order. its like 465 so it is very easy to have the 5/6 wires mixed up ...

·
Registered
483 Posts
I doubt Robdizzy is going to respond seeing as his post was over 6 years ago and he only had a total of 7 posts.
BUt yeah, double-check that you have the firing order correct and make sure the boots are all "snapped" down on the plugs.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
I mixed up that 5/6 wires once ...

Got in car. Turned it over and BANG! Shut that MOFO off quicker then a spider monkey !

Wont EVER make that mistake again. If you do, you are stupid for not double checking them.

·
Banned
1,352 Posts
I mixed up that 5/6 wires once ...

Got in car. Turned it over and BANG! Shut that MOFO off quicker then a spider monkey !

Wont EVER make that mistake again. If you do, you are stupid for not double checking them.
:heha:hahahah ,15 characters

G

·
This is why when I replace plug wires I do them one at a time.
Remove the old wire, replace. Removed the old wire, replace.
That way you can't get them mixed up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts