Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, im new here. Have had my stang for 3 weeks now, have installed suspension/wheels and tires/and some other random crap.

I am having a problem figuring out what kind of cam to go with. I want a mean idle, nothing insane like a 500-1000-500-1000RPM lope but just something that is not gonna be super smooth like stock, and have some great power.

My goal here is just to have a nice quick car, nothing insane, but maybe add a 75-100 Shot of Nitrous down the road.

Here is what is on the car performance wise:

MSD Distributor, Wires, Rotor and Cap
Mac Shorty Headers
Catless H Pipe
Flowmaster Cat-Back
BBK Cold air intake
Centerforce dual plate clutch
Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter
Steeda Aluminum Double Hook Clutch Cable Quadrant
Steeda Adjustable Clutch Cable
Optima Red top
3.55's

Here is the rest of the stuff going in soon. The first 6 things on this list are sitting behind me, the rest will be ordered soon.

GT40P Heads with 1.6 Roller Rockers
Hardened Pushrods
Ford Racing Headers for these heads
X Pipe
ARP Head bolts
Maxmimum Motorsports Full length subframe connectors
Ford racing 30lb Injectors
Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump
70MM Throttle Body
80MM MAF Calibrated for 30lb Injectors
Cobra Satin Intake
Ford Racing Valve covers with no baffles
MSD Coil
Gaskets set (Ford racing set uses the Felpro's)
Ford Racing Timing Chain set

So yeah with that info, im hoping you can all guide me in the right direction on a cam. The guy at the mustang speed shop who is going to be assembling this motor and doing the dyno and tuning is suggesting a "Wolverine 1087". Apparently wolverine doesent make them but somone else does and hes saying to go that route.. I was looking into the Trick flow Stage 1, or the Ford E303. I have been told NOT to get the E303 though because its "Outdated"?

Anyways, I appreciate any help that is offered!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those both look good. My question is can the Steeda one handle Nitrous?

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
Any of those three will take right to the nitrous. All three will have an idle that will say "not stock".

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really appreciate the responces guys!

What do you think would be better.

Steeda 18
Steeda 19
TFS Stage 1

Reading the 19 it says its best for supercharged engines? Im not going to be Supercharged and I dont know if Ill ever even do NOS. I do know that it will be NA for quite some time!

R

·
0 Posts
I really appreciate the responces guys!

What do you think would be better.

Steeda 18
Steeda 19
TFS Stage 1

Reading the 19 it says its best for supercharged engines? Im not going to be Supercharged and I dont know if Ill ever even do NOS. I do know that it will be NA for quite some time!

i would go with the steeda 18.....

since you are undecided about a power adder......

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so the Steeda 18 will lope, will be fine with Nitrous, and also make good power on NA.

Would you choose the steeda 18 over the Wolverine 1087?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Scratch that. Im not gonna bother with the 1087. Going to run the Steeda 18, seems to be a good cam. Anyone here think that the TFS 1 is better?

·
Registered
897 Posts
I would use the Wolverine instead, or Speed Pro's CS1177R.

R

·
0 Posts
I would use the Wolverine instead, or Speed Pro's CS1177R.
Just curious why would you chose the wolverine....:headscratch:

pros & cons please......:bigthumbsup

isn't the lsa a little close if he plans to spray at a later date.....

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
That Speed Pro cam is just a clone of the 1087. The Wolverine is a good cam but haven't they gone out of business? Especially since their parent company Crane went out?

·
Registered
897 Posts
Nope.... the LSA in a camshaft is a result from the correct valve events, not a parameter to use as a guideline to follow. He has heads that are too small for a 302 (GT40P) hence he needs to "crutch them" with more aggressive valve events. The Wolverine is better than the other options in this case.... the optimum?..... a cam that could over compensate for the intake/heads restriction. The Wolverine has been under the Speed Pro brand for a very long time.

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
Cool, thanks for clearing that up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.