Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am looking to touch up my 1995 mustang GT convertible. I am its third owner and it has taken a beating from dirt/gravel and the like. On the front bumper and tip of the hood as well as the back bumper, there is paint chipping off. There are also a couple of spots that have been noticibly touched up already with the wrong color paint.

I have no idea what color my car is!! Its a dark red metallic, but it seems there are numerous colors like that produced my Ford. I looked on the door panel and found this information:

E9
Exterior Paint Colors:
Body: FTC
VR: MM
Int Trim:2S
R: 6
AX: Z
TR:5KJ66

I also have a tiny hole in my convertible top. Are there ay quick, easy repairs for this?

Any help with this would be appreciated. Also I would appreciate it if you could give me some advice on touching up these areas that are chipping away. Thanks a lot!

Dave

·
Registered
1,859 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Go to a car paint shop and ask if they make custom paint...if you are located in PA a place names C.A.R.S. does a great job they are a car paint supply company. They remade my custom paint on my show car.

·
Registered
353 Posts
A 10 year old paint job is faded. If you could find ready mix touch up paint, it wouldn't match 'cause of the fading.

Custom mixed touch-up paint works great if you can find it. You are limited by your ability to apply it. Arisol canisters help that dilemma.

As far as the hole in the rag top - where is it? How small is small? Is it a puncture, or a wear hole? "Quick and easy" on a piece of vinyl that is made to flex and fold and bend is not always a do-able deed. If you can locate a piece of patching (vinyl from another top) and can get your hands on some 3M Vinyl Adhesive, you're in luck, maybe. Suggest you talk to your local upholsterer and see if he/she can slide you a small piece of vinyl to use for patching material. Use the 3M Vinyl Adhesive liberally, and with a clamping device - smear the adhesive on the patch. Apply the patch from the inside - and apply the clamp. Allow the clamp to set in place as long as possible. Depending on how much flex & bend there is at your patched spot, the glue may hold the patch in place.....maybe not. There is no real good way to patch a top without expert assistance (and that will cost as much as a new top).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.