Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about buying a 2002 Mustang GT with the 2V. The car only has 48k miles and is in good condition, however, the valve covers look dirty and stained/splotches with what looks like oil. Should these be a sign of worry? Are they leaking? I'll attach the pictures I have. Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
I don't see anything scary there. Looks like normal seepage/residue on an engine that hasn't been clean since it rolled off the line 15 years ago. I would wanna look beneath the car though, as that oily residue on the top half of the engine could be indicative of a more serious leak elsewhere.

If all checks out, get a gallon of Simple Green and a spray bottle. A little time, elbow grease and a garden hose to spray off when you're done and it should clean right up good as new. I keep a leaf blower around to assist with the drying process (not really a good thing to start or drive with a wet engine) and it has also proved an invaluable asset for drying and detailing the rest of the car.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I keep a leaf blower around to assist with the drying process (not really a good thing to start or drive with a wet engine) and it has also proved an invaluable asset for drying and detailing the rest of the car.
You use a lead blower also?!?!....I actually use mine more on my car than I do for actual yard work.

Going back to the tread, I second. Look around the valve cover gasket, as well as underneath, just to be sure. But it just looks dirty to me.

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
You use a lead blower also?!?!....I actually use mine more on my car than I do for actual yard work.
Lol, yup. Gets the water out of the honeycomb crap in the hoodscoop, rear spoiler pedestals, and the million other places it likes to hide only to drip out later and leave marks or spots. I figured it out from when I worked in auto body when I was in my early 20's, we always used compressed air for this purpose. If you can afford a halfway decent compressor and all the stuff to go with it, awesome. For the rest of us though, a $40 electric leaf blower from Home Depot does the job just as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts