Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help with my 1992 Mustang LX Hatchback 2.3 L non turbo. The engine runs strong with in park I can rev the engine up without any problem but when I drive it it chugs and hesitates when I press on the accelerator. Ive gone over everything that I can but still no luck. I have replaced the spark plug wires, the spark plugs, fuel pressure regulator, cleaned the MAF sensor, and new fuel filter. I also had a problem when my exhaust ignition coil pigtail when it fell of the coil and melted on the header. I bought a new pigtail and replaced it. And i also had to repair the main voltage wire that comes through the firewall because it was sinnged in half.

I dont know what I should check next. Please any advice is good advice right now.

Also side note after being at a stop light when I press on the gas I spew out alot of white smoke from the exhaust.

·
Registered
800 Posts
go to my threads. the very first one that should pop up is how to pull codes. its easy, and it will help narrow down what parts we recommend you check.
what are your rpms in park? 800 is perfect.
about the white smoke=is it completely white, is there a bit of blue in it? if youre loosing antifreeze, oil or both you might have a blown headgasket. a compression test will tell for certain. check that you haven't accidentally overfilled the oil also. I accidentally did that once and had the same symptoms.
check the engine timing also, its not uncommon for these cars to sometimes have the timing belt jump a tooth. just hand crank the crank pulley (the big guy on the bottom) so that the notch in the pulley lines up with top dead center (tdc) on the plastic cover that's on the front of the engine. then pull the little rubber plug out of the top of the plastic cover and see if those marks also line up with tdc. if they don't, then youre just off a tooth.

that's all I can think of atm. check on them and report back and we can go from there.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts