Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
87 gt 5.0 cable seems ok been hard to push clutch and grinding a little found firewall cracked and cable has play about a inch or so...anyone got any how to's to repair this or a really good fix?

·
Registered
191 Posts
If your firewall is cracked where the cable goes through thats going to be a hard fix but if the clutch cable is hard to depress then your cable is probably too tight. Usually if you hear or feel grinding when you press the clutch pedal that means the cable is broken from being too tight or just from age. Get an adjustable cable from 50resto! I wouldnt hold off too long. Mine did the same thing and when it broke it chose to break behind the dash at the clutch quadrant. The wires from the frayed cable touched things and shorted out stuff. It could have been a fire if it wasnt taken care of!!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Best bet for fixing it without welding, would be to stop by any machine shop and ask to buy a 3" or 4" square of sheet metal. Take home, drill hole in center to correct size, and a hole in each corner, Feed clutch cable through center hole, drill 4 holes in corner through fire wall, and drop in bolts.
Shouldn't cost more than $5 - $10 in parts, and an hour or so of work.

I have never done this on a car, but have done something similar at work before, should work great.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guts for the support I'm gonna try to take out the dash where I can get to it good so cramped
gonna reinforce it if that don't help then time for a cable I got a frpp aluminum quadrant and adjustable clutch cable already though.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
If you havent already, lube the cable by dribbling some oil inside the sheath and working the cable back and forth.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
The crack in the firewall needs to be fixed as it will get worse. A piece of sheetmetal 18 or 16 gauge welded would be best.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found that the crack has been welded upon closer inspection under the hood and the plastic piece can be moved out about a inch by hand and can be moved around in a circle fits really loose...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got someone to push the clutch finally and the firewall is flexing back and forth !! That is not good would 1 plate of thin steel plate be enough to stop it?

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
The floor pan and firewall 16 ga metal so I would say as long as you get metal that is at least 16 ga you'll be fine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well guys turns out that a faulty clutch cable can cause all this!!!!

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
I've read quit a few threads why the firewall is cracked at or near the clutch hole and 95% are due to a faulty clutch cable, so that doesn't surpise me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I also believe it has prematurely worn my trans. ):

1 - 12 of 12 Posts