Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How’s it going boys I just got an 04 GT bone stock and parked it in my garage today after taking it out this morning. When I got back I checked my engine bay to make sure everything looked good, which it does besides these 2 things, a crack in what looks like my water pump and a bit of oil seeped up in a weird area. Can any of you guys explain why the oil is there and confirm if that is infact my water pump.
Let me know guys I’ve only worked on Jeep I6s so this is a learning process for me.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

·
Super Moderator
3,506 Posts
Welcome and thank you for joining ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules and be sure to complete your Account Settings.
We are glad you have chosen to be a part of our community and we hope you enjoy your stay.

·
Registered
700 Posts
That looks like fairly clean oil, so maybe some spilled when filling? There's also oil film on the filler neck and the area immediately around it. I assume you checked the filler cap is tight too. The crack on the water pump snout is the plastic "beauty" cover, so nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That looks like fairly clean oil, so maybe some spilled when filling? There's also oil film on the filler neck and the area immediately around it. I assume you checked the filler cap is tight too. The crack on the water pump snout is the plastic "beauty" cover, so nothing to worry about.
That’s what I was thinking but I got my oil changed months ago and never noticed And I checked the cap was tight. Pulled the closest plug just in case and it was clean so I’m gonna keep an eye on my levels and clean it up and hope it doesn’t poop up again. As to the water pump that is a relief. Thank you for the response and glad the forums are live and willing to help!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Oil will not just evaporate, the little bit in the recess looks to me to be some spilled from filling, very very common to some degree unless one uses a big funnel. Spilled oil will lay in those recesses from change to change if not cleaned out, there's no oil pressure there to poop oil up anyway.
That other picture is a water pump and pulley, but even blown up I see no crack evidence other than that plastic hub cover. No coolant leak evidence at all from the WP.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Oil will not just evaporate, the little bit in the recess looks to me to be some spilled from filling, very very common to some degree unless one uses a big funnel. Spilled oil will lay in those recesses from change to change if not cleaned out, there's no oil pressure there to poop oil up anyway.
That other picture is a water pump and pulley, but even blown up I see no crack evidence other than that plastic hub cover. No coolant leak evidence at all from the WP.
Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I'd clean the oil up well and watch it for reemergence but I agree with the others in that it's probably just spillage.
Would love to see a pic of the exterior. Is this car manual or auto?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome to the forum.
I'd clean the oil up well and watch it for reemergence but I agree with the others in that it's probably just spillage.
Would love to see a pic of the exterior. Is this car manual or auto?
She’s a manual of course, first stang I’ve ever got had to be a manual, it’s a project car so she’s rough around the edges but completely stock so it’s a nice canvas

1 - 8 of 8 Posts