Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched all the shifter posts I could find, got some ideas but no answers.
I have a 94 v6 auto. I'm having trouble with the shifter button, seems like it stays locked, after a while you can depress it and shift.
But.......the last time it got stuck or stayed locked, it stayed that way, now I'm up the creek.
Could it be some type of lockout switch tied to the brakes?

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Budd said:
I searched all the shifter posts I could find, got some ideas but no answers.
I have a 94 v6 auto. I'm having trouble with the shifter button, seems like it stays locked, after a while you can depress it and shift.
But.......the last time it got stuck or stayed locked, it stayed that way, now I'm up the creek.
Could it be some type of lockout switch tied to the brakes?
Brakes, ignition switch, or your gate is off . ..

Did you check your fuses?

Try jiggling the keys . ..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do know the fuses are good........as far as the ignition switch goes, you can take the key out when the car is running but that has been like that since I bought the car 4 yrs ago. I'm leaning towards some type of solenoid inline between the brakes and shifter. Some type of safety catch or something. You can tell the button is locked by the way it feels when you try to press it, and there is no jigglin' or pulling or pushing that is going to move it. The connection is broked somewhere. The car sets low with ground effects and I don't have the equipment at home to get it off the ground enough to check underneath.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Budd said:
I do know the fuses are good........as far as the ignition switch goes, you can take the key out when the car is running but that has been like that since I bought the car 4 yrs ago. I'm leaning towards some type of solenoid inline between the brakes and shifter. Some type of safety catch or something. You can tell the button is locked by the way it feels when you try to press it, and there is no jigglin' or pulling or pushing that is going to move it. The connection is broked somewhere. The car sets low with ground effects and I don't have the equipment at home to get it off the ground enough to check underneath.
The lockout, I believe is up top, take out the bezel, and you should be able to access it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well.........I went out and took the trim off from around the shifter looking for the lockout switch. Got it off and still could'nt get in there because the shifter housing leaves no room to get underneath. If you take the console out you could get at it......but I ain't into that at 9 0'clock Saturday night.:sterb: .
Anyway,I was messin' round and held the button in while I pumped the brakes, did'nt work..........so while I still had the button in, I kinda rattled the pedal with my foot and bamm, the button goes in :laughlitt :laughlitt .

I worked it at least 30 times in 5 min and its good for now, I'm still gonna get to the bottom of it.
Thanks to all who replied, its all still open for discussion though, I'll keep you' all posted :happyhapp :happyhapp

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, so far I've figured out it has something to do with the brake pedal because when it is stuck and you hold the brake down and wiggle it a little with your foot, the button will release.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My '94 2.3 L automatic does the same thing. I've found that the only way to unlock the shifter is to turn the key to the Run position but not completely on. I can then shift to Neutral, hold the brake while I start the car and then shift to Drive or Reverse. If I forget myself and completely start the car before shifting to neutral, I always have to turn the ignition off and start again to get the shifter out of Park. Glad to hear that I'm not the only one with this problem. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.