Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1984 mustang GT 5.0. I need to replace the freeze plug behind the motor mount (because its leaking) and want to do it without pulling the motor. Now I already know this is a job I will not ever want to do again so my question is.... What type of freeze plug is the most reliable and will last the longest but at the same time is easy to install without pulling the motor? Does anyone have any advice on taking the old ones out and installing new ones (silicone)? Thanks

·
Registered
454 Posts
I like brass plugs, and coat them with a very thin layer of Permatex II. You don't need much, it almost acts like a lube and doesn't harden and crack.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks alot! I've heard better things about the brass plugs vs. the rubber expansion ones, so thank you for confirming that. Be safe and thanks again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow....... 4 hours later I'm finally done. I only replaced the two freeze plugs on the driver side of the motor that were behind the motor mount cause they were the ones leaking. Tapping the old ones out was the easiest part. Putting the middle freeze plug in was super hard though. About 2 of those hours were spent just on that because when it came to tapping it in there was no way to get a straight shot at it with my 24mm socket and 2ft extension. I was finally able to tap one side of the plug with a bare 3/8 ext. and then the other and go back and forth until it was pretty much flush. Although it was hard I saved a buttload of money cause 3 different shops quoted me an average of $1,700.00 to do the job, and I spent $25.00 on the plugs.... plus 4 hours and a bunch of curse words of course.

·
Registered
4 Posts
freeze plug questions

So let me start off by saying I'm new to the mustang world. Always been a fan tho. Anyway what's the difference between brass steel and rubber freeze plugs? I found that I have two leaking after months of stupidity. I just kept purring coolant in. There both in the back one I could see you np the other after I removed the trans to do a t5 swap. Away what are the best and why? I need a clear explanation. Thanks for time

·
Registered
2 Posts
Most prefer bass. I don't know how much clear you can be. Guess we can turn this into a debate for you.....?

I prefer bras . Why? Had the best luck

·
Registered
561 Posts
brass ones are solid and seat in and stay put , rubber ones break down over time and the expanders inside of them can fail, if you like the idea of something possibly failing at any point in time use the rubber one and keep it interesting. just remember there is a reason the factories never use them on new cars.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I believe the rubber expansion plugs are for a temporary fix only.

·
Registered
561 Posts
true that that is a get you home type of deal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts