Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so i got my gears in... but i really want to put them in myself... can anyone give me a walkthrough on how to do it...i really want to do the work, without help from my machanic... lol... that is unless i break something
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,871 Posts
I WOULD NOT recommend doing them yourself. They have to be calibrated to the the differential and aligned with to many other things. Shims may be needed.....just not a good idea. I would save up for a T-lok if you do not allready have one and wait to install them both at once at a shop that will instal them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
514 Posts
if you are handy with tools you CAN do it yourself....i never did one till i did...lol now iv done tons. it can be tricky but the key is to find a good set of directions of what the marking compound sould look like and what to do if its wrong i think i got mine at motivegear.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,432 Posts
wayne94mustang said:
if you are handy with tools you CAN do it yourself....i never did one till i did...lol now iv done tons. it can be tricky but the key is to find a good set of directions of what the marking compound sould look like and what to do if its wrong i think i got mine at motivegear.com
If you tackle it on your own, you should have someone experienced help you - - - offer the mechanic a six pack to supervise you . ..

even seasoned mechanics mess up gears, and it's getting harder to find one who will work on 'em . ..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kscoyote said:
If you tackle it on your own, you should have someone experienced help you - - - offer the mechanic a six pack to supervise you . ..

even seasoned mechanics mess up gears, and it's getting harder to find one who will work on 'em . ..
Yea i have someone that knows what they are doing... but just in case does anyone have a link to some good instructions???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
514 Posts
yes...look at my post
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok... so i went to find someone to install the gears... well to get a price... but i was unable to find anyone that will do it. everyone that i talked to said they would only do it for stock replacement... so i dont know what i will do if i mess it up... anyone got ideas??? besides (dont mess it up)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,432 Posts
Kmagn13 said:
Ok... so i went to find someone to install the gears... well to get a price... but i was unable to find anyone that will do it. everyone that i talked to said they would only do it for stock replacement... so i dont know what i will do if i mess it up... anyone got ideas??? besides (dont mess it up)
Where are you?

You know, at some point you should at least partially fill out the profile, so we can figure out what's going on!

:smoke:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kscoyote said:
Where are you?

You know, at some point you should at least partially fill out the profile, so we can figure out what's going on!

:smoke:
I live in Corpus Christi, TX
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,432 Posts
Kmagn13 said:
I live in Corpus Christi, TX
ohhh . . . I was just down there . . ..

You may have to go to Houston . . . that's kind of a small town, eh?

Seems like 125000 or less people?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,432 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Do It Yourself!

Kmagn13 said:
OK so i got my gears in... but i really want to put them in myself... can anyone give me a walkthrough on how to do it...i really want to do the work, without help from my machanic... lol... that is unless i break something
Hi. Log on to the "AutoZone" site. There's a do it yourself section. It has pictures, tips, exact method, what to avoid, etc., etc. I printed out all the directions I need to replace my differential when the "Stang" comes out of the barn in May. I should add this 'caveat', it's more tech than doing plugs, so be a confident person with the wrench. I'm doing my own but I've overhauled a couple of engines and replaced a rear-end, back in the 60's. In fact, I'm in my 60's and to me this is fun from my youth. I'm using 'motivegear' and purchased a bearing & shim kit from them which includes the gear dye to check your depth set and alignment [instructions on what that all is at the "AutoZone" site]. I'm only sorry I can't give you more until after May '06, when I'll have discovered the difference between a '95 "stang" and the '63 Chevy I did 40 years ago. Good luck, once you've done it, it's a walk in the park the next time.:wavey
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top