Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my K&N CAI today and overtighted one of the valve cover bolts and broke it. Part of it is still in the valve cover hole. How do I get this out?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
You're gonna have to remove the valve cover. When you get it off, see if you can unscrew it with a vise grips., that will usually work if you get them real tight on the shaft. If not, there are a few ways to get it out, like an easy-out kit, or grinding the shaft to square it off and using a vise grips or socket to get it out. Just make sure to stuff a towel or bunch of clean shop rags into the top of the head so any debris will not get in there and make sure to clean it very well. And remember, valve cover bolts don't need to be extremely tight, and overtightening them will cause leaks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help. To those who were wondering about the valve cover bolts, the K&N CAI has you remove two so you can mount the bracket that helps hold the CAI in place. The bracket mounts directly on the valve cover, using the two valve cover bolts. What pisses me off it, I really didnt need that bracket afterall as it doesn't really hold up the CAI. ARG!

Any possible damage if I don't pull out the broken bolt?

·
Registered
10,877 Posts
No you won't damage anything. The 07 and up have less bolts the the earler ones do. Just keep an eye on it for oil leaks.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I installed my K&N CAI today and overtighted one of the valve cover bolts and broke it. Part of it is still in the valve cover hole. How do I get this out?

Thanks.
If it's the front one where the CAI support bolts to, you may be able to screw it out below. I had one break and when I went to drill a hole in the broken end, it screwed out underneath. If you mount a CAI support, you might want to open the support hole up on the front to make it U-shape so you don't have to take the valve cover bolt out. Just slip the support under the bolt head then tighten the bolt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.