Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a 1966 Couple..... I have the old steering wheel off.... I purchased the correct adapter kit and Grant wheel from Mustangs Unlimited, so i know i have everything i need. The instructions are not straight forward and seem more "generic". I think the kit has many more parts than I need to use and really don't know how to do it correctly, or if anything has to come out of the old wheel or column first....

Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply with this, but the article talks about restoring a Deluxe Mustang wheel, not even installing it..... I can fumble through it i am sure, but i know there has to be someone online that has posted this as i see SO many old mustangs with Grant wheels.... Would rather not do "trial by error" if possible to avoid....

Anyone else done this and can help? Thanks.;)

·
Registered
278 Posts
I did this install last year. I found it necessary to use the roll pins that come in the kit in place of my stock turn signal cancellor. The one tip I can offer that will make the install easier is that once you figure out which size collar you want to use just follow the instructions and bolt everything onto the wheel itself then slide the wheel on and bolt down. Trying to manhandle the spring that goes on, the two plates, and the wheel all at the same time is a recipe for frustration.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Well i'm adding this breakdown diagram, hopefully it give you some gidance, i found it as i was looking one for my standard wheel, i hope it helps while someone with a grant wheel come across to this thread :bigthumbsup

Steering%20Wheel%20Break-down%20Sheet.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys, i do appreciate the input and help. That is VERY interesting to put everything together on the wheel, i will give that a try, my biggest concern is what order do WHAT parts go in, there are many different parts as the kit obviously covers MORE than just a 66 Mustang. That is my biggest issue, the diagrams i have all of them, they just arent' exactly what i am looking at with parts is all....

·
Registered
278 Posts
The instructions aren't stellar by any means but the pics are just detailed enough and the parts just different enough that it is pretty easy to deduce IMO

·
Registered
12 Posts
The instructions cover more than 1 model so they are confusing depending on what model you have. I had lots of left over parts. If you look at the pic's that are included it does help. I called Grant to verify that I was putting everthing together correctly. At least it looks nice and everthing works.
Good luck

·
Registered
278 Posts
As always anytime you are working on your car, disconnect the battery first. Bad things can happen and you are dealing with the electrics in the horn here

·
Registered
400 Posts
Allright. I just did the swap on my '65 Coupe. Here is what I went through:

1) Remove battery groung (-) cable. Turn the steering wheel so the car is pointed straight ahead.

2) Take the old horn button off. My wheel has the horn button with the three spokes. For this, push the button in like you are pushing for the horn and turn counter clockwise. There is a spring behind the horn button so don't lose it when it falls.

3) Remove the large nut holding the steering wheel to the column.

4) Remove the steering wheel. You may need a puller. Luckily mine just pulled right off by hand.

5) Turn the old wheel over and on the back side notice a small metal clip on the shaft collar that has two small ears. This is the turn signal canceller. Note the position of it like the numbers on a clock. Mine were slightly past the 6 position. Works to take a picture. Remove the clip and see if it will fit on the back of the grant wheel hub. Mine had just enough space to fit. I used a snap ring removal plier to open the clip and remove it and then replace on the new hub.

6) The Grant kit comes with three black collars that look like saucers with holes on the flat side. Pick the one that works with your column. I used the one that had the same diameter as the column and left a 1/8" gap when installed. If you want this to match the color of the column, paint it now. Put the collar on top of the hub and line up the holes. Pull the wires through the appropriate hole.

7) Place the steering wheel on top of the collar and again thread the wires up through the hole. The kit has three small shoulder bolts that thread into the hub. Install these to hold everything together.

8) Place the wheel on the shaft and get it so it points the car straight with the spokes of the wheel in the correct orientation. Then push the assembly down against the spring pressure and reinstall the large nut on the shaft. Go ahead and torque it down to hold the wheel permanently in place.

9) Remove the shoulder bolts.

10) Install the one disk that has only the hub bolts and the wire hole. Put it on so the elecrical terminal is facing you. I think it was on thelower right side of the shaft for me. Pull the wires through the hole.

11) Place the other disk over the first. This disk has a metal ring on the bak and wire terminal in the opposite position as the first disk. It also has cut outs in the center to allow the wire to connect to the first disk. Pull the wires through the hole and then connect them to the terminals. Either wire can connect to either terminal. Reinstall the shoulder bolts and torque to specn (I think it said 10-12 ft-lbs). These just hold the disks in the proper orientation and keep the wheel from spinning. Don't over torque these since they don't hold the wheel down (the big nut does).

12) Use some type of adhesive to hold the spring that comes with the kit to the back side of the horn button. I used hockey tape (go figure, Hipcheck). The outer disk has three small cut outs along the outside of the diamter. These match up with the bumps on the perimeter of the horn button. Line the bumps and the cut outs up, push the horn button down and then twist the button so the bumps are behind the disk. This holds the outer disk off the inner disk and keeps the horn off.

13) You will know if it is all installed correctly if the horn does not come on when you reinstall the (-) battery cable.

This whole operation took about 15 minutes for me. I too questioned the instructions, but I got it once my horn button snapped off the horn engaged for a few minutes. Good luck and post results!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts