Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 66 Mustang convertible and bought the stainless steel cylindrical expansion/overflow tank for it. But I'm confused on how to install it and would appreciate any guidance. First item of confusion is that it has two prongs coming out of it to connect the hose to yet the radiator only has one so not sure if I just cap off one of them. Then do the prongs face down or up? And finally, does the expansion tank just go anywhere in the engine compartment? Again would appreciate any helpful replies.

Thanks.

·
Registered
964 Posts
There should be existing holes on the side of the radiator that you can bolt it to with the brackets that should come with it. There should be two lines running out the bottom of the overflow, one to the radiator and one to the ground, to leak out the excess coolant.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
yeah that second line leaking to the ground was always the EPA's favorite feature :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hook the line from the radiator to the bottom of the expansion tank and the top is your overflow. You'll also need a radiator cap meant for use with an expansion tank.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Take a look inside of the tank.
The short tube is the one that is connected to the radiators vent on the cap.
The long tube is the overflow tube and is the one that will vent to the ground. put a small length of tubing on it to direct the overflow away from radiator frame support and to keep the engine bay clean.
But with that said, I have not it burp on the ground at since I installed the tank.
Be sure to fill the tank 1/2 way with fluid so it will top off the radiator with fluid if it needs it.
Pic of my tank and connections:
Cooling

Good Luck and BE Safe
Ron
Christophers 66 Mustang Restoration and Modification

·
Registered
1,491 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

Sorry it took a while to get back and say thanks, but was finally able to figure it all out with all your help. So just wanted to say thanks and appreciate the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts