Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:headscratch: Ok I was messing with my timing and about the 4th time I adjust it, i go for it a ride and it is running horrible, duh left the spout connector out. So I pull over after I have already hammered through the gears to see that it is gone. I am now considering punching myself in the face, and realize i will just get mad and hit myself back.

So I get back in and drive home like I am on a short bus with no spout connector, and a shiny new helmet for everday use. Get home fabricate my own spout connector, that took a stroke of genius. Go back to messing with the timing. I am either getting balls out power and an idle surge, or perfect idle but it just aint screaming.

Call my buddy and ask him for advice, he says forget the spout. My car has nothing stock and has all smog eliminated, EGR, air pump, etc... I have the plug in for the EGR delete. He suggested I lock it out and go staraight mechanical, He said and I read in another forum that the EEC uses the EGR system to advance and retard the timing, causing it to jump an d cause the idle surge at the ideal timing. So I hit it with the timing gun and it is changing by 10-15* and causing the idle to surge, when I set it at 14* advanced and return the spout. But it runs stronger. No Pinging at all, as a matter of fact I think I could advance to 16* and get away with it, I only run 93 octane. So here are my questions:

1) Is it accurate to say the EEC advances the timing 12*? So if set at 14* with Spout in, I should set it at 26* locked out (no spout)?

2) How will this affect my EEC? Some guys say it will go crazy, and some say it will not and the motor will run great.

3) What would an older Mustang with a similar setup to mine (on profile) set their timing at purely mechanical?

4) Does it waste a ton of fuel? Not that I get good mileage now.

Thanks for your help, I wanna get this car dialed in before i take it to the track for it first time slips.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
The Problem with Locking the dizzy out by not using the SPOUT, is you will need some type of timing retard for start-up. Guys do lock out the timing for track setups this way.

Also, once the EGR is deleted, meaning the ECM doesnt sense it opening or closing, the ECM automatically deletes its function. And no timing or A/F adjustments are made.

Being Stock has nothing to do with the SPOUT. Niether does the SMOG or EGR have anything to do with the SPOUT.

I cant remember the exact RPM the total adavance is, but i think its around 2000-2500 and all the timing is in. Most guys I know set it around 30-32 when locked out.

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
Or you could get another spout used for about a buck. I've also seen people use a paper clip to reconnect the circuit.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Or you could get another spout used for about a buck. I've also seen people use a paper clip to reconnect the circuit.
I made one. I am just wondering if I would benefit from getting the timing to sit right.

What do you have your timing set at?

R

·
0 Posts
10* is baseline timing.....

my advice is advance it until it pings and then back it off a couple degrees

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
Mine is set to 14 BTDC, but every engine is different. I've seen some take as high as 20 degrees and be fine, while others ping at anything above 10.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.