Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1989 Mustang GT with AOD transmission will not shift past 2nd gear.

I had my heater core replaced by an off duty mechanic this morning. The guy really does seem to know what he is doing and works in a shop building pro street cars during the week. After leaving, my girlfriend, who was driving the car called me (following in the other Mustang) and said that it wasn't shifting. We pulled over and I took over. I called the mechanic who worked on it, and he told me to check the "kickdown" cable at the throttle body. It was disconnected, so I snapped it back in. No changed. I then limped the car to a parts store at 40 mph where I checked the fluid level, which was full, and added a bottle of Lucas no-slip (or whatever it's called). Still no change so I took surface streets the rest of the way home. According to the previous owner and the receipts that came with the car, the trans has less than 5,000 mi. on it, although it did sit for long enough to kill the warranty due to a simple starter issue.

I know NOTHING about automatic transmissions, other than the fact that we don't get along well and they break a lot. Somebody please tell me I'm not looking at another rebuild. I would have to sell the car. :worship

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh no! I just found a post by Eagleautosports, who's opinion I have learned to value, and I think I'm screwed. Pretty sure the trans is smoked due to me being an idiot and driving it home. Ok, going to walk away from the computer and vomit now.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts