Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never owned a mustang before and need help trying to buy a good one. i want a 1989 gt 5.0. i was not sure how much i should pay, how many miles are too many, and it the gt all that much better than the lx? All your input and help is appreciated.

·
Registered
554 Posts
skeletor1987 said:
yeah but how many miles do you think you could get out of a non-abused stock engine block?

I'm not sure this is realistic. How much are you talking about spending on this car? If you spend 10-15k bucks, you might find an 89 GT/LX with around 30k miles or less. If you are looking at spending about 5-6k bucks, be prepared to find a motor with upwards of 100k miles.

Someone can tell you that a little old lady drove it to church on Sundays, but comeon. How many stangs havent been driven like they are supposed to?

I wish you luck in your search. Just keep in mind that you will put money into your car if you want it to run like a top.

Later,
Jason

·
Registered
554 Posts
[QUOTE='95.0 stang]Price is gonna vary alot with location. Here in New Orleans I couldn't find a fox in decent shape for under 7 grand. As far as the GT vs. LX goes there's already a thread on that http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48802[/QUOTE]

No offense, but are they not all under water? Again, I ask with all sincerity.

Jason

G

·
That depends on your definition of non abused, but I've known people that went to rebuild their 150,000+ mile engine and it still had the cross hatch from the original bore.
That was when I was looking for mine 2 years ago, they probably are flooded now. And to think they told me not to bother taking my baby :rolleyes: That did have me thinking though, you could buy a pretty nice car for dirt cheap right now because of the salvage title.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I bought mine for $3900. Paint was in pretty good shape, slightly faded from 88, but no major probs at all. Had 101,000 when I got it, and ran really good. It also had an absolutely perfect interior, except the lower speaker covers were gone from when the car got broken into and the stereo stolen. Soon after I got it I had to replace the injectors which were leaking, a coolant hose burst 2 days after i bought it, and the heater core went about 4 months in, then again about 8 months later. Water pump went too around the first heater core, and just recently the radiator went bad. The alternator also went a while back. the way I figure it around 100,000 miles stuff is gonna go, because most of them are still stock parts. Expect to fix it, and you will have no complaints. I have really never had a drivability problem that wasnt caused by me trying to fix something else. Of course the usual vaccum leaks and whatnot, but no big deal once you just take a couple days and really trace stuff.

Prices will seriously vary, if you are in the middle of the country you can get an incredible deal, but on the outskirts prices go up. Look for oil leaks, and other fluid leaks, make sure the tranny shifts well, and check the paint over REAL good so you can see if its been in a wreck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.