Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy new year to everyone. For an entire year I've been looking at various wheels and saving up a little bit of money. This spring I plan on buying a new set (I'd buy them now but we were just blessed with 18'' of lake effect snow). My biggest concern is how well they fit into the wheel well, for example, I heard the RTRs stick out in the rear, although I've never been able to see them in person, due to their aggressive offset. I love the look of them, but I'm not a big fan of the old muscle car look on new Mustangs. I want a wheel that fits nice and snug, at least flush to the fender, in the wheel well, although being picky I want it to still be nice and fat in the rear. Other than the RTRs and the SVE drifts, I will most likely buy a staggered set (8.5'' front/10'' rear). I am down to these four choices, and am hoping that all you fine motorheads here have seen or actually own some of the pictured wheels and can tell me first hand what their fit is like. I've scoured the internet for pics that show me whether they stick out or not, but pics can only do so much. Here are the four wheels I'm hoping some of you have experience with.

Staggered Black GT500 Mustang Wheel & Tire Kit - 19x8.5/10 (05-12) at AmericanMuscle - Free Shipping!

Staggered Matte Gunmetal TSW Nurburgring Wheel & NITTO Tire Kit - 20x8.5/10 (05-12 GT, V6) - Free Shipping!

Charcoal RTR Wheel & Sumitomo Tire Kit - 19x9.5 (05-12 All) - Free Shipping!

2005-12 Mustang Flat Black SVE Drift Wheel & Nitto Tire Kit - 19X9.5 at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

I am extremely interested in the SVE drift wheels from LMR, but their offset is +35mm, which is extremely close to the RTRs at +33mm, and the same design, so I'm assuming they stick out like the RTRs, even though they are a tad bit less aggressive.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

·
Registered
364 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
SVE drifts all the way

·
Registered
235 Posts
Happy new year to everyone. For an entire year I've been looking at various wheels and saving up a little bit of money. This spring I plan on buying a new set (I'd buy them now but we were just blessed with 18'' of lake effect snow). My biggest concern is how well they fit into the wheel well, for example, I heard the RTRs stick out in the rear, although I've never been able to see them in person, due to their aggressive offset. I love the look of them, but I'm not a big fan of the old muscle car look on new Mustangs. I want a wheel that fits nice and snug, at least flush to the fender, in the wheel well, although being picky I want it to still be nice and fat in the rear. Other than the RTRs and the SVE drifts, I will most likely buy a staggered set (8.5'' front/10'' rear). I am down to these four choices, and am hoping that all you fine motorheads here have seen or actually own some of the pictured wheels and can tell me first hand what their fit is like. I've scoured the internet for pics that show me whether they stick out or not, but pics can only do so much. Here are the four wheels I'm hoping some of you have experience with.

Staggered Black GT500 Mustang Wheel & Tire Kit - 19x8.5/10 (05-12) at AmericanMuscle - Free Shipping!

Staggered Matte Gunmetal TSW Nurburgring Wheel & NITTO Tire Kit - 20x8.5/10 (05-12 GT, V6) - Free Shipping!

Charcoal RTR Wheel & Sumitomo Tire Kit - 19x9.5 (05-12 All) - Free Shipping!

2005-12 Mustang Flat Black SVE Drift Wheel & Nitto Tire Kit - 19X9.5 at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

I am extremely interested in the SVE drift wheels from LMR, but their offset is +35mm, which is extremely close to the RTRs at +33mm, and the same design, so I'm assuming they stick out like the RTRs, even though they are a tad bit less aggressive.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!
If you don't run a rear tire larger than a 275 you will be fine with the RTR wheels. You will be dead flush with a 275. The most popular Shelby wheel (alcoa supersnakes) has a more agressive offset than RTR's and they are used by thousands of users. Their offsets are +24 on a 9 inch wheel and +36.7 on a 10 inch wheel. This is why the supersnake comes with 275 on the rear.

·
Registered
355 Posts
The problem with the TSWs, RTRs, and SVEs is that they're all so similar. My opinion of each wheel is:

• RTRs - Look the best, but I wish they were black
  • TSWs - The lightest and look clean
  • SVEs - Look great since they're black, but I'm not sure about their quality (anyone have them? thoughts?)
  • GT500s - Not a fan when compared to the other options

Either way you go, I'm sure you'll be very happy. I've been on the fence for quite some time, but as time passes, I'll have to eventually make a decision. Let us know what you end up with (include pics) :).

·
Registered
158 Posts
I am really leaning towards Forgestar F14s piano black for my black mustang gt. Should look really clean. :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome advice so far, thank you. I wish the RTRs were black, but the SVE drifts are just about the exact same wheel. I do wonder about the quality of the SVE drifts, hopefully someone will read this thread that has them and comment :winks

The forgestars F14s are pretty nice wheels as well, how much do they cost?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Forgestar F14's range from ~$1,600 (19x9, 19x10) to ~$2,000 (20x9, 20x11) depending on which sizes you prefer. For me, they're a bit more than I want to spend (RTRs and TSWs fall around the ~$1,200 - ~$1,300 range and I'm not tempted to go up to an 11" wide rim since they're not offered :winks). This also plays into your tire selection - 315's (for 11" wide wheels) are generally a bit more than 275 or 285s that you'd run on 10" wide wheels. When you're looking at wheel sizes, always keep tire selection and their prices in the back of your mind, as this can be a determining factor along your route.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts