Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a couple weeks of research on this I'm down to three options and would really appreciate your guys help.

Option 1:

20" Charcoal AMR Staggered 8.5"/10"s with Mickey Thompson Tires

American Muscle is having a sale right now through June 15 where I could get this package for $1,203.08

Staggered Charcoal AMR Mustang Wheel & Mickey Thompson Tire Kit - 20x8.5/10 (05-14 All) - Free Shipping

Great thing about these is price, staggered look, and free mounting and balancing, BUT unfortunately Mickey Thompson does NOT offer a tread life warranty, so I'm worried about their longevity, especially considering I will be unable to rotate the tires between the front and rear.

Option 2:

19" GT500 Style 9.5" All Around with Hankook Ventus 1 Noble 2

PepBoys offers buy 3 tires get 1 free

The total for this package, BEFORE MOUNTING AND BALANCING, would be $1342.65

Love the idea of 9.5" fronts. This option would definitely handle the best. Hankook also offers a 50,000 mile tread warranty. This option would be at least $200 more than the other options.

Option 3:

20"x8.5" Charcoal AMR with Hankook Ventus V4 ES

Same PepBoys 3 tires get 1 free deal and same 50,000 mile warranty. Total would only be $1132.59 but still BEFORE MOUNTING AND BALANCING.

I love the way 20" Charcoals look on black mustangs, but these are only 8.5" rear wheels, so I would sacrifice the staggered look of option 1.

Thanks guys, Sorry if I'm being a pain on this but whenever I spend this kind of money I like to get it right the first time. :fear: :feedback:

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Option 4
Boss 302s wheels

And any Summer only tire, I was 1 that always figured a High performance all season was good enough until I got summer only tire, all season really is no season.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Option 4
Boss 302s wheels

And any Summer only tire, I was 1 that always figured a High performance all season was good enough until I got summer only tire, all season really is no season.
I've always been meh on those, and at that price point I'd go for a different look, possibly MMDs. But both out of my price range so it doesn't really matter :/

And option 1 is summer tires

·
Registered
254 Posts
Tread life warranties are marketing fluff and are for the most part worthless. There are so many things that disqualify you. Even if you manage to meet every requirement, which is basically impossible, you still only get a pro-rated replacement. AKA your buying a tire anyway with a very small discount and you have to purchase the same tires or equivalent from the same manufacturer. BTW not being able to rotate your tires is going to invalidate EVERY tread life warranty, if you go staggered, you have no warranty.

Basically what i'm saying is throw the treadlife warranty out the window as part of your decision.

Go with whichever one you like the best and you can afford. Of the 3 you mentioned option 1 looks the best to me. If you go anything less than a 10" wide wheel on the back you are doing yourself a disservice.

The Mickey thompsons have a treadwear rating of 300 which is pretty good for a summer only tire. You should get at least 20k miles out of them easily even if you beat them to hell (doing burnouts doesn't count), 30k miles if you treat them nice. While comparing treadwear ratings is not apples to apples, they are at least ballpark. The Michelin PSS have the same treadwear rating of 300 with a 30k mile warranty.

·
Registered
328 Posts
The mickey thompson tires last quite a long time for summer tires. However, that's pretty much the only good thing about them besides the price.
Basically all the cons of a summer tire with none of the pros. They are bad in cold weather and don't last as long as all seasons just like any other summer tire. Except they have awful traction and handling for a summer tire. I'd rather run all-seasons than the street comps.

What I would do is just order the wheels you like alone. Then get better tires of your choice from tirerack and TPMS (if you want it) from ebay for around 40-50 bucks.

As far as the wheels go, I can say that I like a square setup MUCH more than staggered. The balance and handling is phenomenal. My last set was 19x9.5 with 275/40s and I am now running 19x10 with 285/35.
Just be careful when trying wider wheels up front. Brake clearance and offset can be a pain so try to find people who have run the same wheel you want.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't get it with the black or charcoal wheels! I think they get lost. I got the 19" silver AMRs along with som Nitto n555G2 tires. Awesome combo. Receive many compliments and very good grip on tires.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Pep Boys buy 3 get 1 free requires you to buy their overpriced hazard warranty and install package. It probably isn't worth it, you may just want to check Discount Tire Direct, get free shipping and rebates, and get it installed somewhere more reasonable.

Got a un-repairable flat tire once and went to Pep Boys for an install- never again.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
After a couple weeks of research on this I'm down to three options and would really appreciate your guys help.
If you haven't already done whatever . . .

Option 2 for the front wheel width alone (you can always upgrade the tires, and maybe even talk them into starting you out with something better). As long as the offset is somewhere in the +42 to +45 range, strut side clearance will not be a problem, nor will the wheel or tire stick out past the bodywork.

If that's Voorhees as in Voorhees NJ, I'm not too far away at all.

Norm

·
Registered
746 Posts
they are all nice,i like the boss wheels . look on ebay, i got mine from a guy local to me for 700 bucks ! new wheels and p-zeros with sensors! so now i have a full set of 20's and 19's .
good luck
0306161640.jpg

0321161351 (1).jpg

0526161038.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts