Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In about a month or month and a half I will be going back to the Middle East to do some contract work. The job pays very well so money won't be as big an issue as it is now. While I'm over there I will be doing A LOT of online shopping for parts and having them sent home. I'll be coming home every 6 months and putting all my new mods on, (or having someone else do it for the big stuff). Below is a list of some of the first things I will definately be getting. Any ideas/suggestions on what to add to the list?

CAI
long tube headers
complete true dual exhaust
tuner
performace brakes
18 inch wheels all the way around
new hood
8.8 rear end with new gears, (what gears should I get?)

Now, I know there is more to add to the list but not sure what I should get. At some point, (probably one of the very last things I do), I am going to have my car re-painted. It sat in my bro-in-laws driveway for a couple of years before I bought it and it's faded pretty bad in a few spots. My ultimate goal is to have a pretty bad-a$$ six banger so any input is appreciated.
Also, when I'm overseas the car will just be sitting for about 6 months at a time and not being driven. Any ideas on how to properly store a vehicle for extended periods?
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
795 Posts
Im not sure they make long tube headers for V6's unless they're custom made? 18 inch wheels seem good i'm pretty sure if you go above 18 it can mess up your speedo and acceleration.

If its an automatic do 4.10 gears and if its a manual do 3.73 gears.
And a T-lok (limited slip differential) would be good also to give traction to both wheels instead of just the passenger rear.

Oh and a good man on here said to forget about the 8.8 unless your gonna be adding some SERIOUS horsepower because if not then its just a big weight holding down your car because the stock can handle enough horsepower as it is.

And to store it maybe put it in a garage?

And if you can i'm guessing having someone start it up every once in a while can't hurt either.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I forgot to add the t-lok on my list. I was planning on that too since I do want both wheels turning.:bigthumbsup
Also, at some point I may be looking into getting a turbo for more HP that's why I'm going with the 8.8 now so I'll have it when I need it.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I can't remember completely bout an argument i saw but i think Supercharger is better because its belt driven so you get the power straight off the line instead of waiting to spool up and its bolt on so you wont have to fabricate it for your engine. Just a thought

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, either way is fine with me. That and paint would probably be the last two things I do. I'm starting to build up my list of things to do the first 6 months and then I'll start buying stuff agan when i go back overseas for the second 6 months.
My car will be A LOT different than it is now after that! :winks

·
Registered
795 Posts
Sounds like a plan! haha i think gears/exhaust/t-lok/tuner would be your main concern right now for a nice kick in performance

·
Registered
713 Posts
If you get an 8.8 you won't need a t-lock, the 8.8's already have one. The cheapest path for you may be to see if you can't find a rear end with the gears already installed in it.
By the way, you may want to ask shinerstang or shine1stang about a turbo setup. A supercharger is good, but if I went forced induction, turbo would be the way I'd go. Both of the shiners are running 10 second 1/4th miles with their turbos...pretty impressive.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Another thing, yes, you do have turbo lag with a turbo, but a supercharger will rob some power because the engine must power it. A turbo runs on exhaust gases, so it doesn't have that problem. If you're worried about the lag, I've heard of a lot of guys who actually use nitrous down low until the turbo spools up.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Oh ok sorry i thought you would still need a T-lok. And would you need to fabricate a Turbo for your engine though?

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have Mac Longtubes on my car so they definitely make them and as far as the turbo setup goes, talk to the shinerstangs. GSSMotorsports.com
Very friendly guys.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Oh ok sorry i thought you would still need a T-lok. And would you need to fabricate a Turbo for your engine though?
Yeah, everyone that I've heard of making turbo kits for the v6 are now out of business. I just don't think there's enough business out there for those guys to stay in business without branching out and making kits for other vehicles. So, yes, you'd have to fab one up. If you ever near Kentucky and want to get a turbo, talk to the shiners; they can probably hook you up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.