Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I was a teenager I have wanted a 1967 Fastback. Now that I'm making good money I think its time to get one. I've been looking but it seems like prices are sky high. Ive only seen one under $30K and that is an A model with rust issues. I'm considering offering 20k to see if they will take it but I think that is still a bit too high for a car that need a top to bottom resto. Im not too picky about the engine as Id probably end up swapping it out but I would like it to be drivable.

Thanks
Tom

·
Super Moderator
3,506 Posts
Welcome and thank you for joining ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules and be sure to complete your Account Settings.
We are glad you have chosen to be a part of our community and we hope you enjoy your stay.

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
Ever since I was a teenager I have wanted a 1967 Fastback. Now that I'm making good money I think its time to get one. I've been looking but it seems like prices are sky high. Ive only seen one under $30K and that is an A model with rust issues. I'm considering offering 20k to see if they will take it but I think that is still a bit too high for a car that need a top to bottom resto. Im not too picky about the engine as Id probably end up swapping it out but I would like it to be drivable.

Thanks
Tom
you are right, the prices are at $30k for a nice one and the prices are not coming down and will go higher. Unfortunitely, there is typically alot of repairs to be done on cars that are 1/2 priced of this or less, unless you get real lucky.....and repairs include hidden rust, mechanical issues, paint,etc. which can easily run at $10k+ to repair

Let me suggest something a little out of your radar right now...... to consider a Dynacorn body....

1967 Ford Mustang Fastback - Dynacorn Classic Bodies

You can literally build a "new' 1967 mustang now and I would swag the new body cost would be in the $15k-$20k range, compared to buying an unknown, IMHO, you could very easily be $ and happiness ahead.

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
that is very cool . . . not counting labor cost (since it would be a labor of love) what do you figure it would cost to build a "new" 1967 fastback? maybe $50K total? or would it be more?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
that is very cool . . . not counting labor cost (since it would be a labor of love) what do you figure it would cost to build a "new" 1967 fastback? maybe $50K total? or would it be more?
That would really depend on how much of the work you could do yourself, JBert! If your body shop charges $100/hr, and you have to buy a full suspension, exhaust, engine, transmission, interior, the prices are all going to be wildly variable.

Just for example, at the low end for just an engine, you can pull a rattlecan 5.0 HO out of a Mountaineer, put in a $300 cam, carb, intake, and be done for around 1k. But as I am sure you know, it's not hard to spend $5k on an engine instead.

To build this from scratch would probably start at a minimum of 30k for new parts, just at a wild guess. Having all the work done by a 'reputable builder' might be as much as 80k (including the parts). One thing's for sure: There's a lot of work in putting together new body panels, especially roof and quarter panels. But maybe less than fixing old rusty and bondoed ones...

On the plus side, having it done by a pro means you have someone to blame (besides yourself) if anything's not perfect!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It looks like it might be a better option to buy a decent coup and put a new body on it then sell the coup body but my preference would be to have an original.

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
It looks like it might be a better option to buy a decent coup and put a new body on it then sell the coup body but my preference would be to have an original.
I think you hit it dead on...... if you can find a car that say is all there, mechanically good, full interior but as you look close at it you find it's a rust bucket.... you have a really good solution! Let's face it, if you have a rust bucket (surprise) and need a body shop to do the repairs... that is $$'s ranging from a few thousand to $10K easy. This also leaves open the option of getting coupe (that's a rust bucket) and throwing the fastback body on it......

Reactions: Grimbrand

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
. . . the option of getting coupe (that's a rust bucket) and throwing the fastback body on it......
LOL, I just got this mental image of this rusty old coupe sitting there, then the Hulk throws this shiny new fastback body at it, there is a big cloud of dust and rust, and when the cloud clears, there is this gorgeous new looking fastback with all the coupe parts in it . . . if only it were that easy . . .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LOL, I just got this mental image of this rusty old coupe sitting there, then the Hulk throws the new fastback body at it, there is a big cloud of dust and rust, and when the cloud clears, there is the fastback with all the coupe parts in it . . . if only it were that easy . . .
Are you saying there are differences between the fastback and the coup other than the body style?

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
no, I was just entertaining myself with the image of the magic instantaneous "Hulk toss" body swap, LOL . . . I don't know if all the parts are compatible or not, I guess they probably are but I am completely out of my expertise here

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
LOL, I just got this mental image of this rusty old coupe sitting there, then the Hulk throws this shiny new fastback body at it, there is a big cloud of dust and rust, and when the cloud clears, there is this gorgeous new looking fastback with all the coupe parts in it . . . if only it were that easy . . .
Oh meeee like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh how my head hurts...... I must have a brain injury... no wait....Hollywood is calling Dan Short wants to be the new "Hulk"..... a reboot of Fantomworks!!!!!!!!!!!! Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😄

ya know the show....where Dans team of experts take bolt on parts and "pow" they become custom installed pieces!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Grimbrand and JBert
1 - 11 of 11 Posts