Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased this 2008 GT that the dealer had changed the mufflers on.

Can anyone tell me what mufflers they are from the pictures?

Also, I am trying to find out if there is anything I can do about the drone that is particularly bad with the windows up at 1500-2000 RPM.

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
Flowmasters, although they look like 1 chambers.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Also, I am trying to find out if there is anything I can do about the drone that is particularly bad with the windows up at 1500-2000 RPM.
Congrats on the purchase! :)

Anyways, there isn't much you can do about the drone besides replace them with another type, if I'm not mistaken. :so

·
Registered
151 Posts
If they're the Flowmasters for the GT's, they are black and have 4 inch stainless steel tips. There will be a small hole in the bottom of each tip for drainage. But the quickest way to tell is that they will say "Flowmaster" on the top of the tips. Those look like my Flow's but it's hard to say. You can also look for a part number, 17410, on the mufflers themselves.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If they're the Flowmasters for the GT's, they are black and have 4 inch stainless steel tips. There will be a small hole in the bottom of each tip for drainage. But the quickest way to tell is that they will say "Flowmaster" on the top of the tips. Those look like my Flow's but it's hard to say. You can also look for a part number, 17410, on the mufflers themselves.

Thanks for the info! I will check them out closer.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thanks for the info! I will check them out closer.

I must agree with what someone stated earlier, these look more like a single chamber Flowmaster. I think the dealer threw these on and welded on some tips. The loud droning you hear at the low rpms is barely heard on the Flowmaster GT mufflers on a stock setup since Flowmaster designed them to have minimal interior resonance.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Almost positive those are Cherrybombs. Would bet on it:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
148 Posts
Those are defiantly Flowmaster single chambers. They are NOT street legal, they are race only. I had one of them on my '00 Dodge Dakota v6 years back, you could hear the truck coming over a mile away. I had it on my truck for a day before changing them out to a dual chamber.

·
Registered
55 Posts
possibly a flowmaster or IMCO one chamber. i had one for a few months on my old truck.

. . . .talk about popping tylenol for your headaches . . .

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm voting Cherry bombs too.
The first picture definitely looks like the right ones.

Now what? I love the sound, but I don't love the interior cruising sound. What suggestions are out there?:headscratch::headscratch::headscratch: (money is always a concern:scratchchin - darn it!)

·
Registered
937 Posts
They look like Flowmaster 1 chambers but if they are they will have Flowmaster stamped in the case. No writing = Cherrybombs or knock offs.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
The first picture definitely looks like the right ones.

Now what? I love the sound, but I don't love the interior cruising sound. What suggestions are out there?:headscratch::headscratch::headscratch: (money is always a concern:scratchchin - darn it!)
You could try having a set of resonators welded in further up stream of the mufflers. I know at least Stl has done that. I had FRPP "Stingers" on my car. I loved the sound but after a few months couldn't take the drone. I sold them and went back to stock. I plan on leaving the exhaust alone for now and spend my mod money else where on the car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.