Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I've been seeing some Stangs on the way to and from work that puzzle me. I'd like to know what they are. These cars don't have any fog lights, no GT marker on the sides or back, have black plastic under the rocker panels (instead of painted the same color as the car), but **DO** have the dual exhaust. If they're not GT's and not V6's, so what are they?
I know it's a dumb question, but I had to ask anyway! :)

Joe

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
Probably customized so you can't tell what they are :eyepoppin

·
Registered
229 Posts
albireo said:
Hi everyone, I've been seeing some Stangs on the way to and from work that puzzle me. I'd like to know what they are. These cars don't have any fog lights, no GT marker on the sides or back, have black plastic under the rocker panels (instead of painted the same color as the car), but **DO** have the dual exhaust. If they're not GT's and not V6's, so what are they?
I know it's a dumb question, but I had to ask anyway! :)

Joe
albireo, They must be v6's with dual exhaust as an after market add-on. It seems, reading this forum, there are alot of v6er's asking about putting dual exhaust on their cars They even go to the extreme of adding the fog lights as well. There are many threads on here telling how to do it and how to add the switches needed to add the lights. The difference in price for the GT doesn't seem to be the issue. I think it had to do with the availabilty of the GT's over the past year. Alot of folks couldn't get them (GT's) like the northeast and midwest so they bought 6's but liked the look of the GT better. Most of the GT cars were sold in California and the sunbelt. Had to get mine in Florida. My opinion only but to my knowledge there are no other models for "05 or '06 other than the v6 and GT. So many after market adds they may seem to be other models.

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
another possibility

Maybe they are Saleen Stangs, although the Saleens do not have the large fog lights like the GTs they do have small fog lights in the divider between the grill and headlights. Then again, the V6 with the dual exhuast sounds more accurate. I have seen kits to convert the appearance of your V6 to a GT. If they are V6 with dual exhaust, that would explain the lack of badging.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. This is interesting.
They are DEFINITELY NOT Saleens. The body looks like a bone stock V6 with no lights at all in the grill.
So to make sure I understand the body - if I see one with no lights in the grill this is something other than a GT or Pony packaged V6? Is that what the standard V6's come with, no fog lights?
Just trying to get a handle on things.
I guess I need to make another Idiot's guide - this one for indentifying Mustangs!!

Joe

mrvandermey said:
Maybe they are Saleen Stangs, although the Saleens do not have the large fog lights like the GTs they do have small fog lights in the divider between the grill and headlights. Then again, the V6 with the dual exhuast sounds more accurate. I have seen kits to convert the appearance of your V6 to a GT. If they are V6 with dual exhaust, that would explain the lack of badging.

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
V6 Stangs

Well over here on the West Coast, we have the GTs with the large fog lights in the grill, we have the Custom Stangs (like Foose, Ellenor, etc) that have either the center mounted large fog lights or the center mounted lower grill fog lights, we of course have the Saleens, we have the Rouschs (very similar to a GT), and as for V6s, we have the Pony Edition with smaller grill mounted fog lights, we also have the Calfironia Edition (very similiar to the Pony edition) with small grill mounted fog lights and of course the stock V6s with no fog lights. So my guess is that you are either seeing V6s with dual exhaust or you are seeing a new trend in custom Stangs.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
A friend of mine has a factory customized V6 (don't recall the name). Full body kit, painted Lemans stripes, duals, no fogs, 19 in wheels and has all the V6 badging. Looks real nice.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've noticed a lot of guys with GT's don't like the fogs (too big) and relocate to the center or they get smaller ones and mount them in the fascia. One big giveaway on a v6 is the flattened out license plate area on the fascia. Also the GT's facia is much lower to the ground than the v6.

·
Registered
785 Posts
junior said:
I've noticed a lot of guys with GT's don't like the fogs (too big) and relocate to the center or they get smaller ones and mount them in the fascia. One big giveaway on a v6 is the flattened out license plate area on the fascia. Also the GT's facia is much lower to the ground than the v6.
Does one replace the grill when the fogs are re-located? Why would a lot of guys do this? What is the power of the smaller fog lights?

I think they look cool, it seems like a lot of work (mods) just to re-locate them.
Junior, would you post a picture of one? Just to compare.
THNX!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
team ford did a stang conversion on a v6 that looked nice twotone leather seats, duals, billet grille,big wing spoiler,stang emblems but they wanted as much as a gt....

·
Registered
785 Posts
stig1950 said:
team ford did a stang conversion on a v6 that looked nice twotone leather seats, duals, billet grille,big wing spoiler,stang emblems but they wanted as much as a gt....
I bought my GT from Team Ford a year ago this week. I wonder where Fred-Fred is??

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
I'd like to trade my GT ensigna for V6 stuff... I'd luv to have V6 where the GT is/was on the side... also something on the tail SCREAMING V6... :cool:

I know I'll still have the fogs, wheels, and dual exhaust but who really knows if it says V6 on the side and tail... (all they'll see... :sterb: )

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Problem solved. I took my car to the dealer to get the "low fuel level" data error fixed and looked around the lot. What I was seeing was a V6 basic model with dual exhaust, I'm sure of it now.

Joe

·
Registered
256 Posts
well Joe... you're wrong. V6s dont have Dual Exhuast no matter what package, what level, and what options you equip it with. The <b> only </b> option would be to a get a screaming 4.6L 300HP V8 GT to get the duals in there.

·
Registered
897 Posts
A friend of mine was in Florida for the PRI show in January.
While he was there he went to visit Steeda where he said he saw a couple of GT's without the fog lights or the GT front bumper. He was told that these would be receiving the new Steeda front Fascia.

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
V6 dual exhaust

albireo said:
Problem solved. I took my car to the dealer to get the "low fuel level" data error fixed and looked around the lot. What I was seeing was a V6 basic model with dual exhaust, I'm sure of it now.

Joe
I came back from the dealer today, and while there I asked the salesman if Ford puts out any V6 Mustang package that offer dual exhaust, his answer was no. He did mention that they do make a GT rear bumper to fit the V6 (they are the same as the GTs, they are interchangeable). But he still claims that no V6 Stang has dual exhaust, so the ones you ar seeing have to be custom.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
junior said:
That reminds me... I haven't crawled under to look, but is there a place to put the license plate, on the front of a GT? It sure doesn't look like it.

And yeah, if htere is a little running pony on the rear badge and ponies on the side, it is a v6, yes? Otherwise, unless removed, it will say GT.

I want to remove mine and replace them with the chrome Ford V8 badges. A little worried about digging the GT badges off though. What takes them off? They are supposed to be 3M taped on? Double stick? How does one go about removing that crap?

Part number M-7843-V8 is the thingy I like.

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
I have heard using a heat gun or hair dryer will assist greatly in removing the fender badges. As for those who live in front license plate states (like me) the dealer screws two screws right into the front bumper, it looks tacky as all get out.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.