Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Cobra has been sitting it the parking lot behind my apartment for a very long time and I have been interested in it since day one. I'm not sure whos car it is, so before I take the time to write a note of interest on it I would like to know more about it. Usually I would assume this car is out of my price rage, but there is a lot of body and interior damage. So anything you guys can tell me would be great, I dont want to insult the owner with a low ball offer. Please reply!

Attachments

·
Registered
613 Posts
These aren't usually high priced cars. They were manufactured with 4 cylinders, and people did the engine swap to a 302. They are primarily hole shot cars, and handle very poorly. If its in bad shape, you should be able to get it for less than 1,000 depending on where you live. I would inquire if they would be interested in selling, and if so about what price. If you feel its to high then negotiate. Hopefully it isnt one of those people that intend to fix i up, yet it sits there rotting away till its junk. If its a near prefect car or restored, then about 5 grand. Unless its a rare King cobra. which is very doubtful. but they can reach as high as 50-60 grand in perfect condition. according to sales on the internet.

·
0 Posts
These aren't usually high priced cars. They were manufactured with 4 cylinders, and people did the engine swap to a 302. They are primarily hole shot cars, and handle very poorly. If its in bad shape, you should be able to get it for less than 1,000 depending on where you live. I would inquire if they would be interested in selling, and if so about what price. If you feel its to high then negotiate. Hopefully it isnt one of those people that intend to fix i up, yet it sits there rotting away till its junk. If its a near prefect car or restored, then about 5 grand. Unless its a rare King cobra. which is very doubtful. but they can reach as high as 50-60 grand in perfect condition. according to sales on the internet.
Next time engage your brain before you type. If you don't know, don't post ignorant dribble just to try and look smart.

1) That car could've left Dearborn or San Jose with a 2.3L 4-banger, a 2.8L V6, or a 302 V8. All were options after 1974 regardless of trim level with the exception of the King Cobra, where the 302 was the only option.

2) They handle very well, the front suspension in them in superior to any in a Mustang with the exception of the SVO and Cobras until the S197s came out. Their handling is actually why you see so few of them on the road, their front suspensions were coveted by hot-rodders who would buy the cars, cut out the front subframe, and graft them into their cars for an instant and massive upgrade in handling and ride.

Do your research there kiddo. Keeps you from knowing what your shoe tastes like. I'll make it easy for ya: http://www.mustangii.net You might learn something.

Back to the OP:

As far as the price goes, offer $1000 if it runs, $500 if it doesn't and haggle from there. My virtually rust-free '76 Mustang II with a 302 and an automatic that had a ragged out interior but ran and drove, was priced at $2000 in the classifieds, I had it on a trailer with the title in my hand for $1000.

·
Registered
337 Posts
From a quick look at the pics, its a 78 Cobra II (t-tops are 77/78 only, reversed hood scoop was 78 only, blacked out trim was also 78 Cobra II)

The grafix and wheels are definitely not original (but many aren't original after more than 30 years anyway)

Things t look for which will greatly affect value:

alignment of the side trim above the windows. If the edge of the trim at the lip of the t-tops protrudes past the rest of the window trim, the roof is guaranteed to leak.

look for rust along the fenders just under the edges of the hood (common issue, and a ***** to repair properly) and inside the rear bumper.

If its got a 4-speed, run it through the gears, and see if it likes to try jumping out of 2nd and/or reverse.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I think that car belonged to a Mustang II Network member, then was in a pretty bad front end collision about 3 or 4 years ago and was repaired by Todd Scruggs from Pheonix Arizona. It looks like the paint scheme is the same, so it might be the same car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts