Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!. This morning the battery light magically turned on.

I had the charging system tested this very noon and the tech guy told me the alternator wan't working and the battery was not charging. (I suspected so).

While driving back to my office I noticed the battery light was off. I stopped the car, turn the engine off, waited a couple of minutes and started it up again. The battery light turned off as usual ¬¬

What would you do? I might take it back for another test tomorrow.

My V6 has 98,500 miles. How long could the stock alternator last?
I will apprecite any comment on this post. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
144 Posts
you could always do an old tech trick and when its running take off the positive cable to see if battery is charging if the alternator is bad it might die but it could also be a bad diode in the part just take it off and take it to autozone and have them test it for free

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
you could always do an old tech trick and when its running take off the positive cable to see if battery is charging
Please don't do this. It proves nothing on TODAY's car.

Why?

Today's cars do not have self exciting alternators. The battery is required to excite the alternator's field coil. If you disconnect the battery, it may run for awhile but if the load increases, the alternator will shut down.

The days of jump starting a car with a TOTALLY dead battery are over.

Why not take it to your local autoparts store and have it tested? No guess work.

Make sure that the battery cables are clean, tight and corrosion free. While you are at it, have the battery tested. Remember, the alternator can not work without a strong battery.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Didn't know that about modern charging systems wmburns; thanks.

My advice for an intermittent electrical problem? Consider 10 years of corrosion on the connections. Disassemble and clean each, then reassemble, lubricating with silicone or dielectric grease. Only then start testing components.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all.
I changed the battery 8 weeks ago and had it tested yesterday, so I'm sure it's not the problem.

I'll try to check all the charging system; in the meantime, my pony will have to stay at home :(

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, it seems the alternator is broken.

How much would you pay for a new one?
What do you think about those remanufactured ones from Amazon or eBay?

Thanks for your advices :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
132 Posts
Well, my local Autozone has a Duralast Gold Alternator (fresh, not reman) for $200.00

I wouldn't go short on any important car parts, no junkyard stuff for me. :yelpleased:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The End: alternator replaced

Thank you all for your advices and comments.
I just had it replaced for a new one and problem solved. I'm sure in the long road was the best choice.

Back on the track again :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts