Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello, 2001 mustang Gt with 200,000 miles. Recently replaced entire rear suspension, upper and lower control arms, shocks, all bushings and noticed a slight leak at pinion seal. Ordered new seal and wheel bearings along with 75w140 gear oil and some friction modifier. Here's my problem, I had a stuck rear driver side caliper that was hanging due to a faulty piston and the car developed a humming so I assumed wheel bearing over heated. While waiting for that to come in I went ahead and replaced the suspension parts I already had on hand. I took it for a test drive and now the sound is much more pronounced. I've never had a bad u joint but after looking through several videos on YouTube I found one that sounds very much like what my vehicle is doing and it was a u joint. However, also videos with wheel bearings sound similar and pinion gear bearings being smoked. I will say the noise does seem to reduce some when I let up off throttle. This leads me to believe it's not the pinion bearing (I hope!) because typically I've found the noise gets worse on decel due to bearing loading of it is the pinion bearing. I'm going to go ahead and replace the wheel bearings since I'm going to have the cover off anyway to do the pinion seal since I know that's bad and resealing the cover plate. Just looking for some advice on if I should also start planning to have to rebuild the entire rear end due to the possibility of it actually being the pinion bearing. I can do most work and have on this car but the rear end tear down is admittedly beyond my scope of abilities so I'd be looking at probably 1000 dollar bill all said and done. Thanks for any insight!

·
Registered
5,237 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Definitely the pinion bearing, unfortunately that is beyond my scope of practice so it's going in the shop for new bearings but on the positive side might as well throw some 4.10s in it so bright side right? Lol I replaced the u joints but I think the pinion side is wonky have a vibration that is new and when I installed it the u joint was a bit tight so going to have to drop the driveshaft and see if I can get it too loosen up, unfortunately I have a bad feeling one of the roller bearings might have fallen at install. Ugh.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
With 4.10s I assume this isn't going on the highway? If it is then your engine will be screaming for mercy. 4.10 gears are generally for the drag strip and aren't good streetable gears. Imo 3.73s already push the limits for regular street use or highway travel. 3.90s and beyond are past those limits as the engine RPMs are just too high for a v8.
There was a thread on here a little while back about someone installing u-joints and having a related problem. I don't remember what the specifics were but it may be worth a search.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts