Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Matte white looking pony's on my '90 Stang and Im looking to repaint them before I head to Mustang Week. Can anybody recommend a good paint for this?? Also, could anybody please tell me the correct color for these rims?? I believe they are the one's that came stock on the fox verts. I've heard them called white pony's, satin pony's, and matte white pony's. I want to get them back to the new look. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't do them myself. If I really wanted them to look spot on I'd have them powder coated by a professional.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'd like to get them powder coated, but I've researched some rates on that and I don't have the dough to get it done right now. I'm just looking for something that will look good enough to get me through Mustang Week and then get them done the right way later. I have thought of the alternative of putting my turbine wheels back on until after Mustang Week, but they aren't in very good condition either. I'm pretty good at making a spray paint job look good, but the wheels look kinda off white or a little cream colored and I've never seen that color in a spray can before. Any ideas?

·
Registered
394 Posts
With the tires removed off the rims. and a lot of light to medium sanding.

I repainted my Pony's white with Rustoleum White Primer then Clear Coated them with Rustoleum Clear Coat. I also did the back of the wheels. With light sanding and masking off the running horse I repainted and clear coated the center caps also.

I then oven baked the wheels (obviously) one at a time in a conventional oven, at 300 degrees for 25 minutes.
You don't have to bake them, but I did because I wanted the finish to last. This was 5 years ago. They still look great.

I just use Ceramic brake pads to keep some of the brake dust off them.

It's amazing what you can do with rattle cans. Have fun, take your time.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With the tires removed off the rims. and a lot of light to medium sanding.

I repainted my Pony's white with Rustoleum White Primer then Clear Coated them with Rustoleum Clear Coat. I also did the back of the wheels. With light sanding and masking off the running horse I repainted and clear coated the center caps also.

I then oven baked the wheels (obviously) one at a time in a conventional oven, at 300 degrees for 25 minutes.
You don't have to bake them, but I did because I wanted the finish to last. This was 5 years ago. They still look great.

I just use Ceramic brake pads to keep some of the brake dust off them.

It's amazing what you can do with rattle cans. Have fun, take your time.

Hey, thanks for the info. Bake 'em huh? I'm gonna try this out. I'd love to get these looking good again. You rarely see this rims anymore around here and people always ask me about them (even in the condition they are in). Thanks again.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Baking is always a good idea. Whenever you paint something it is good to stick them in the oven (watch out with the wives/girlfriends tho) and bake the paint on there.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Baking is always a good idea. Whenever you paint something it is good to stick them in the oven (watch out with the wives/girlfriends tho) and bake the paint on there.

Lol! Yeah, I just bought a new oven about 6 months ago and I'm sure my Wife will love the idea. She's not always home when I am though.:evillol: While on the subject of baking parts......can this same technique be applied to headers? Mine are rust like hell and just bought a Sport Trac for my Wife so I'm short on cash and would like to sand and paint them too. I know that they get very hot, but is there a paint made for that purpose? Kinda like high temp paint for blocks?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
There is paint made for those types of temperatures. Although, I did some extensive research on it(I wanted to do the same as you) and found out that it doesn't last super long. Eventually, you'll start flaking and looking cruddy again. In my search for an answer jet-hot coating seemed to be the best for the application.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Never heard of jet-hot coating. I'll have to check it out. I'd love to get powder coated, but I cant find anywhere near here that can do it. It would probably cost a arm and a leg too. What takes place with the jet-hot coating?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
There are different places that perform these coatings btw. This is just the first link that popped in google.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
BTW some info for you.

Powder Coat:

Near Florence, SC
Calder Powder Coater (843) 393-5022

Near Sumter, SC
Alpha Powder Coating (803) 775-1700

Might ask these guys if they can do jet-hot or if they know someone who do. But there are some powder coating places near you.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Look for people that do ceramic coating which will take the heat. This coatings will protect the header and keep the heat in while keeping your engine bay just a tick cooler.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the link. That's pretty cool.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Lol! Yeah, I just bought a new oven about 6 months ago and I'm sure my Wife will love the idea. She's not always home when I am though.:evillol: While on the subject of baking parts......can this same technique be applied to headers? Mine are rust like hell and just bought a Sport Trac for my Wife so I'm short on cash and would like to sand and paint them too. I know that they get very hot, but is there a paint made for that purpose? Kinda like high temp paint for blocks?

Any time I bake a painted part, it has to be clean of any oil, dirt, carbon, grease, etc oterwise it will smoke up the whole house and every smoke alarm will be set off. I did that once with valve covers. oops.
As for the headers if they are free of carbon then you can paint them and bake them at 200 degrees for 30 min. cool them down for 30 min. bake again at 300 for 30 min. cool them down for 30 min. then bake them again this time at 400 for 30 min.
Duplicolor sells a paint for headers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts