Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help!: OLD Brittle Decals Wont Come OFF!

2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Rockin' Blue's 
G
#1 ·
i cant seem to get these stupid things off. they are like stuck on there for good!

they scrape off.. not peel off

ive tried sitting in one spot with a hair dyer for 5 minutes.

its an 1850watt hair dryer

what other options do i have :(

im begging you to help

#2 ·
Did you have a can of hairspray handy as well? j/k, i would probably try an actual heat gun, and if that does not work you can try using paint thinner on a rag, but if you go that route make sure you wash the area off, then wax it. Most of the time though, its a long pain staking process to take old decals, pinstripes, etc off.

#4 ·
The decal is held on with some sort of adhesive. Ive had to use pain thinner to take of factory facing stripes on a couple of chevy extremes, on almost all the old pin striping ive run across. Do you have a dye grinder? they make a rubber wheel you can buy that will strip any decal off without removing clear. It would really speed up the process. Im gonna look for a link, and ill post back. Oh just incase you didnt know ( im not trying to insult your knowledge by any means) paint thinner actually slowly eats through what ever it comes into contact with, so it will loosen any kind of decal up fairly well. try a small piece of your decal to see how well it will work for you.

#5 ·
3M Pinstripe Removal Wheel - ZZ3000

These things work wonders. apparently it can also be used in a household drill as well. I didnt think a drill would spin fast enough to make it work, but if they say it will, then it will. I know there are several different manufacturers that make this type of product. should be able to pick one up at carquest, napa, or some higher end parts store. Hope this helps.

G
#6 ·
haha THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! and in no way did you insult my knowledge!!! i appreciate you tellin me that! im thanking you for it :p also, thank you for all your help and responding so quickly!!! thanks!!!

#8 ·
They are awesome, but you can burn through the clear if you leave it in one spot for an unreasonable amount of time. Also, when the wheel starts to get smaller you will notice a black ring, that means you are getting close to the metal that the rubber is molded to, and its time to get a new wheel, or the metal will dig into your body. One wheel should be plenty to get that decal off though. Let me know how it turns out.

#9 ·
oh, and 3m is definitely going to be the most expensive maker of the wheel. I forget what brand we use to use at the shop but we only paid i think 15.00. But that was 5 years ago as well.

#11 ·
For removal of vinyl , I took off my vinyl rocker panel stripes with this awesome stuff old or new vinyl, its called Vinyl-Off 104, just wipe it on and wait 15 minutes and pull off adhesive and all, its awesome stuff :bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.