Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my gas tank replaced at the dealer back in May because of the filling problem in which at times I couldn't fill it beyond half a tank before the pump would keep clicking off from the backflow. Well, all went well until late September, when the replacement tank began doing the same thing again.

I took the car back to the dealership, and after 3 months of " Ford doesn't have an answer yet", I finally contacted Ford directly. The result? Nothing has been done YET!

So, I'd like to begin documentation for Ford regarding this problem . If you've had the gas tank replaced and the problem has started again, then please e-mail me directly at "[email protected]". I'm really getting tired of being treated as if this problem is just my imagination!

Thanks for any and all help...Archie

·
Registered
403 Posts
Shy of a recall, I really doubt if ford will ever fix the problem...but, if a couple people get burnt after their cars spew gas on them it might happen. Ive only filled mine twice- both times it spewed gas...last time I put 5 gallons in it and left it at that...look under the car at the TINY fill tube- guess what- feel the tiny fill tube- thats a piece of plastic covering a tube thats maybe 5/8" I.D.

it is a stupid looking setup, and looks so wrong even from just a glance that a 5 year old would say its too friggin small. To fill without the shutting off, try the 'hold at 90 or 180 degree' thing...when I picked up my car it wa on 'E' (asked no prep/testdrives) I tried about ten clicks worth at 2 cents a click, then turned nozzle upside down(watch the paint with the hose!) and quickly filled it right up...pump clicked off and immediately it sprayed about a cup (BIG MESS) of gas out the side of the car- and kinda pissed me off. second fill up (different station) took gas ok at low rate/nozzle normal, but burped maybe a few ounces on me and side of car. Really pissed me off as it friggin stinks up a new car instantly. Last time, said screw it and didnt go much above 3/4 tank.
Ford does need to redo the fill/vent plumbing, but I would expect it would require a pinto like lawsuit to get them to do anything about it.

Only gripes about the car so far are:
1) gas fill is not fun- keep handiwipes in the console...
2) seatbelt hard to reach/hard to buckle.- needs a seatback guide+ higher center
3) top seatback release shouldnt require readjusting seat every time kids get in/out- needs separate latch from adjuster.
4) makes me want to waste as much gas as possible- car is simply addictive

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I paid a visit to a local Ford dealer and had a chance to check out an 06' Mustang up on a rack.The gas tank looks like a couple of saddle bags up under the body near the rear axle.I wouldn't say it was unique but really different.On the floor was another gas tank ready for installation. I asked the service mechanic about the tank but no answer.I couldn't help but notice gas stains on the left rear quarter.I hope this isn't an up and coming problem with these new Mustangs.
I've filled up a few times with my 06' but no problems just yet.I will agree driving the 06' is really addictive,I wonder if its the rumble under acceleration or the nimble handling...ITS GOTTA BE A MUSTANG THING! WOOHOO!:happyhapp

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
Have you tried different gas stations? I only have problems at a few stations.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
pcfrisch said:
Have you tried different gas stations? I only have problems at a few stations.
My old Ford truck used to do this filling thing. At one point, I could only fill on the slowest setting on the pump handle. Very annoying considering I have two twenty gallon tanks! Bring a chair. Now it doesn't do it anymore. Hasn't in years. Maybe the bugs in the air vent tube moved away or something.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I posted a few days ago that my dealer (owner is one of fords directors) was going to look into it.
They brought a Ford Engineer in to look at my car and the owner's sister's 05 vert. Ford DOES say there is a problem, BUT says it is due to the gas pumps not being up to some standard and we were not filling properly.

A bunch of BS. So the owner, service manager (also an 05 owner) and me are all ticked at Ford right now! The service manager did tell me that somethign would have to give soon, he had been see way too many complaints. He said that it was the filler neck hose that was the entire problem not to mention the fuel tank that quote "is stupid" in his opinion.
Dealer name removed for obvious reasons :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have an early 06 (built August) and I've had my gas tank replaced once but the problem still persisted. I eventually brought it in to another dealer (which is a lot bigger than the first dealer) and their solution was a "custom fix". I will have to say that it is in my words "ghetto" as their solution was "to cut 2 inches off of hose and drill out filler pipe mount." They told me that they had "inspected and found filler pipe and hose mounts too high." I know this is a little odd as a new car has to be fixed in this manner but as long as it works, I'm all good with it. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I've only filled up at BP stations (totally by chance!) and have had the pump kick off and spew gas EVERY time (3 different stations). Car was in for other repair this past weekend, so I asked the service guys if they could take a look. Got a call yesterday and here's what they said.... Ford 'supposedly' fixed the problem from 2005 to 2006 (Mine's an 06 with roughly 700 miles on it). So they called Ford to find out what they were supposed to do with it....Ford said 'nothing'. Basically Ford's still researching the issue and didn't want the dealer to do anything with my 06. Thankfully the dealer didn't like that answer. So they put in a new gas filler neck which was their 'fix' for the 05 problem. Then he explained that I'm their 'guinea pig' for the 06 and to keep them updated on whether or not this fixes the problem so they can document for future.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I got my tank replaced before summer, and lat month it started happening again. I don't know about you guys (and girls), but I love sitting at the gas station for 35 minutes filling my tank!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Gas Tank

Took my 05 GT in last week to my Ford dealer because of the gas tank. I was told that the reason we are having problems filling the tank is the tank is in two sections, when the tank is emptying it is emptying from the passenger side first, therefore when you try to fill your tank above a half of tank, it is detecting that it is full. Or, when you fill your tank it is filling the driver side first and once it gets above a half a tank it is doing the same thing. Fords response? Wait and fill your car below a 1/4 of a tank. It still does not help the situation when you are filling the tank and it stops once you get to a half. I have learned by practice, if you turn the nozzle sideways it helps. Does not help the back flow, but helps fill up the tank completely. I am hoping if enough people complain this will be a recall. Once again at Ford's mercy :worship

·
Registered
403 Posts
I got this back from ford, after asking if there was someone in engineering that I could email to ask about what was changed already, and why it was still an issue...:

<<<Thank you for contacting the Ford Motor Company Customer Relationship Center regarding your vehicle fuel concerns.

Unfortunately, the engineering department is not available to receive direct phone or e-mail contacts from customers. The Customer Relationship Center has been fully empowered by Ford Motor Company to respond to any customer concerns or inquiries.

We will be more than happy to assist you by sending your feedback regarding the vehicle redesign suggestions has been documented which will be forwarded to the appropriate department for review and in addressing this issue.

In addition, as previously communicated, we recommend that you contact your local Ford Lincoln Mercury Dealership who may also assist with addressing your service concerns.>>>

their email address is: [email protected]
perhaps everyone could bombard them with requests for a fix...

·
Registered
103 Posts
same problem on 06

I have an 06GT and have problems filling up. Even on an empty tank, the pump will cut out on the lowest setting. Many times I've held the pump myself with the nozzle just inside the tank and that works OK. I have not had problems with the gas overflowing so maybe that is something they did fix.

I'm sorry but you really have to question the competence of the Ford design team if they can't even design a gas tank and hook-up that can be filled from a normal pump setup. So much for learning from Formula 1 and motor racing.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hmmmm...

ECoastGal said:
Took my 05 GT in last week to my Ford dealer because of the gas tank. I was told that the reason we are having problems filling the tank is the tank is in two sections, when the tank is emptying it is emptying from the passenger side first, therefore when you try to fill your tank above a half of tank, it is detecting that it is full. Or, when you fill your tank it is filling the driver side first and once it gets above a half a tank it is doing the same thing. Fords response? Wait and fill your car below a 1/4 of a tank. It still does not help the situation when you are filling the tank and it stops once you get to a half. I have learned by practice, if you turn the nozzle sideways it helps. Does not help the back flow, but helps fill up the tank completely. I am hoping if enough people complain this will be a recall. Once again at Ford's mercy :worship
...this makes some sense. When I first picked up Jessica I had the nozzle cutting off every two seconds. Figured, "Eh. New car. Weird."
It did it one other time, but that's it.
Well, maybe that's why. I drive a lot, and Jessica's my everyday driver, so she gets filled twice a week, and its almost always on fumes when she does.
Still, not good thunkin' on Fords part 'der.:dunce:

Engineer's name musta been Jethro.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.