Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 mustang gt with a roush m90 supercharger, a couple nights ago I put new mufflers on it and was having so much fun, the car was doing great, basically did pulls all night and basically just cruising around, so I go home and park it. The next morning I start it and it’s barley running, I check codes and I have 2, p0356 and p0351, now these are coil malfunction codes. So I swapped around coils and nothing changed. I said screw it and bought new coils, no change. My spark plugs looked brand new (they have only 1.5k miles on them anyway) I’ve also tried swapping around fuel injectors. Also I’ve replaced all the plugs for my coil packs because the clips on my other ones broke. Please help me, this has turned into a nightmare

·
Super Moderator
3,506 Posts
I found this ….

p0356 is a coil driver circuit code. you need to load test the ground circuit back to the pcm. grab a noid light and insert it into the coil connector, it should flash and if it doesnt then you have a bad coil driver in the pcm.
Read this thread P0356 Code??? and this thread Ses light error code P0351 - MustangForums.com

Hopefully you’ll glean something useful information in one of these.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I forgot to say. I used a noid light on both coil connectors, it lights just as it should, the only thing I guess are spark plugs? I’m confused as the basically brand new ht0 plugs

·
Super Moderator
3,506 Posts
So I forgot to say. I used a noid light on both coil connectors, it lights just as it should, the only thing I guess are spark plugs? I’m confused as the basically brand new ht0 plugs
Check out those two threads I linked to.

·
Super Moderator
3,506 Posts
Okay so I will try unplugging everything and re-plugging it in. As well as disconnecting the battery for awhile
That’s all I’ve got right now, but others will probably jump in shortly with more advice. Hang in there.

Reactions: 5.0 Coyote

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That’s all I’ve got right now, but others will probably jump in shortly with more advice. Hang in there.
Did that. No change. It immediately throws the codes. I replaced all coils. Unplugged the battery for an hour and nothing changed

·
Super Moderator
3,506 Posts
Since it‘s Memorial Day weekend, you may have to wait a couple of days for others to jump in on this. My internet guesses are 50/50 hit and miss, so let others with more expertise weigh-in before proceeding.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since it‘s Memorial Day weekend, you may have to wait a couple of days for others to jump in on this. My internet guesses are 50/50 hit and miss, so let others with more expertise weigh-in before proceeding.
Actually I lied. Send for a 20 minute drive and now I’m also getting a p0206 code. So i dont know if thats related

·
Super Moderator
3,506 Posts
Actually I lied. Send for a 20 minute drive and now I’m also getting a p0206 code. So i dont know if thats related
That’s an Injector Circuit Malfunction – Cylinder 6, so check your wiring harness, and check for a bad ground Connections.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That’s an Injector Circuit Malfunction – Cylinder 6, so you really need to check your wiring harness, and check for a bad ground Connections.
Any idea what grounds I should check? And is there a common spot for the harness to break?

My biggest problem is there is a ton of forums for this problem, but literally no one posts the fix. Some for 2v. A lot have to do with the f150’s but still. No one posts their solutions

Any one else willing to chime in? I’d like to diagnose this issue and post a fix so others can find it, I’m hoping to get an autel scanning tool tomorrow I think. That would help diagnose Peet’s of it I’m thinking

·
Super Moderator
3,506 Posts
Any idea what grounds I should check? And is there a common spot for the harness to break?
If I were in your shoes, and determined to do this as a diy, I would check every single ground connection I could find. I don’t know of any common spots or the like. You just have to use the process of elimination.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If I were in your shoes, and determined to do this as a diy, I would check every single ground connection I could find. I don’t know of any common spots or the like. You just have to use the process of elimination.
I’ve looked at all the main grounds I can think of, front passenger side ecu ground both engine grounds and the battery ground

·
Super Moderator
3,506 Posts
I’ve looked at all the main grounds I can think of, front passenger side ecu ground both engine grounds and the battery ground
Have you also checkedengine/ chassis grounds, and inspected your wiring harnesses? I’m sure you have, but just checking, I really have no other ideas at the moment. I’m really surprised one of our forum experts hasn’t jumped in yet.
(and I mean with complementary intent, we really do have some experts here, but they are modest)

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I hope I'm wrong but is there any chance the engine might have detonated when you were doing those pulls? You might want to check the compression in all cylinders to rule out the possibility of a broken piston ring land, as loss of compression in a cylinder could also trigger a misfire code.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I hope I'm wrong but is there any chance the engine might have detonated when you were doing those pulls? You might want to check the compression in all cylinders to rule out the possibility of a broken piston ring land, as loss of compression in a cylinder could also trigger a misfire code.
I always had that though in my mind, but it’s not send a specific misfire code, and driving it feels like I’m lugging 2 cylinders sometimes, but makes boost and clears up other times. I can check today after work just to be sure

·
Super Moderator
3,506 Posts
I always had that though in my mind, but it’s not send a specific misfire code, and driving it feels like I’m lugging 2 cylinders sometimes, but makes boost and clears up other times. I can check today after work just to be sure
Just for peace of mind, you should do as @Bullitt95 suggested.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just for peace of mind, you should do as @Bullitt95 suggested.
I will, like I said but I’ve been busy working the past week basically, only have time to get to it like an hour a day, I will compression test it this weekend and hopefully my scanner will come in at the same time. If it’s an engine it’s not that big of a deal, I already have a block that I’m building. I just want to find the damn problem

1 - 20 of 34 Posts