Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mustang is a 2000 3.8L 5spd with 121,000 miles on it and, Im getting these codes P0455 and P0171 codes. I have been driving with a hacked off exhaust and it was fine and 2 days ago and about after 50plus miles I installed dual side exit exhaust. I don't think its the exhaust system but I cant be sure. Before everyone tells me to go check my gas cap clean my tps and maf I will, and I will get back to you in about 2 days.

·
Registered
6,856 Posts
Any other exhaust leaks? Perhaps around the exhaust manifolds or EGR system?

For the P0455 first check the gas tank filler neck. Look for rust thru especially under the plastic cover. Next inspect the filler neck grommet as they typically leak on older cars.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it possible that I made it to short and the cars reading it as a leak.
I cut off the Y pipe just after the cats and welded two pipes on each side coming out the side just before the two back tires.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
your hack-job on the exhaust wouldnt have affected it since you cut it after the sensors

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok well that's a relief thank you. I'm having a hard time identifying if I have any leaks. Ive never seen one before and I don't have the right tools to do so either. So I guess Ill take it to ford and have it diagnosed and then do the work with my mechanic. Quick off topic question if I go to my ford dealer, do most service centers take walk ins.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok quick question after the headers and where it connects to the mid pipe there is a gasket thing what is this called and what size do I need for a 2000 3.8. Also were do they typical sell them Im assuming autozone but I cant find them but im probably not searching for the right thing. Its like a donut ring shaped gasket from what it looks like but I dont know the exact name of it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts