Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could really use some help here, the various youtube video's just aren't making the choice obvious for me. I'm looking for a catback or axleback for my '12 V6PP which will
  • have a nice, throaty idle
  • more sound volume than stock, but not too loud
  • not sound ricey AT ALL
  • Stainless steel
  • increase HP/TQ (although that might rule out any AB option)
I'm used the my '96 (see sig) which souunds beautiful, but is definately louder than what I want for the new car. Obviously my first thought is Dynomax CB, but I've heard it is very quiet. What would be a good option to avoid that raspy/ricey sound and pick up a nice throaty idle and a good exhaust tone and to facilitate "shifting by ear"?? Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Flowmaster AB's fits the bill

When you go WOT it sounds like a Z though

Or Bassani

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Everyone asks this same thing.

What sounds good to one is raspy to another.

You can't have everything, you just can't.

Someone will tell you that such and such exhaust is perfect but you will get it and put it on the car and you won't like it.

Find the one on youtube that sounds okay to you and go with it.

B

·
0 Posts
I think no matter what on our v6s you're going to have some raspiness. I think the reason why Ford put some crimps in the stock exhaust was to help alleviate some of it. Like you, I listened to a bazillion sound clips. The one I really liked the best was the Pypes SFM79 system, but it still has some rasp to it as well since the tips are plain. There is a similar Pypes system (SFM66M) made for the 4.6L (2.5" pipes also) that has resonators on it and evens out the sound. Canekita is who had this done. What I ended up doing was just buying the M80s that come on the Pypes system, and install them along the mid pipe. I also found some resonated 4" tips and got those put on as well. I ended up paying a little more than half what the Pypes system cost and felt this was a good route to go in that I didn't spend a lot of money if I ended up hating them. However, I'm really glad I got them. Not sure if I picked up any power (my wife thinks so). I was able to shave about 35lbs off by removing the OEM mufflers.

As for power increases, the real power is going to come from replacing the headers. Catbacks and axlebacks don't offer much, but do help increase flow....5-10HP maybe.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm thinking I'm torn between the Dynomax CB and the Magnaflow street catback (not AB). Assuming the magnaflow is louder based on clips and reviews... But is it worth the price premium? Any CB options out there besides dynomax/pypes/magnaflow?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Could really use some help here, the various youtube video's just aren't making the choice obvious for me. I'm looking for a catback or axleback for my '12 V6PP which will
  • have a nice, throaty idle
  • more sound volume than stock, but not too loud
  • not sound ricey AT ALL
  • Stainless steel
  • increase HP/TQ (although that might rule out any AB option)
What would be a good option to avoid that raspy/ricey sound and pick up a nice throaty idle and a good exhaust tone and to facilitate "shifting by ear"?? Any help is appreciated!
YouTube - ‪2011 Mustang Exhaust mod..wmv‬‏
Factory GT's with the bypass. Meets 4 outta 5 of your parameters. $100 -$200/pair on Ebay.:yup:

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
I'm thinking I'm torn between the Dynomax CB and the Magnaflow street catback (not AB). Assuming the magnaflow is louder based on clips and reviews... But is it worth the price premium? Any CB options out there besides dynomax/pypes/magnaflow?
I do believe that the dynomax is not a full stainless system, only the mufflers and tips are stainless, the pipes are aluminized steel. That's one reason why it is so much less expensive.

J

·
0 Posts
From reading what you want: Borla Touring, Dynomax, or Magnaflow Street. You'll get 10hp max with any system here, no drone or ricey sound. Flowmasters are very cheap, and some like the sound... but HP gains for flowmasters are only 1-2 HP depending on which dyno you read, which was another show stopper for those, and at higher rpm sound very 350z ish to me.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Personally, from YT clips that I've seen, I'm pretty sold on the Dynomax cat-back. $325 after $75 rebate to boot. That's hard to beat.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Sounds like you're looking for the same as me from an exhaust, I'm going to go with the Magnaflow street catback.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I would definately not recommend Borla for the V6 and in particular the S-Series.

IMO there is drone and vibration though the RPM range. They sound like a couple of trumpets sounding off behind the car. This is the second set from them and from what I hear they are still trying to get it right with the touring version too.

Good company for customer service but face it, $650 is a lot to pay for something that don't work. I wish I had bought magnaflow or flowmaster, or .. well anything but these. HP wise, no difference that I can see and feels more like loss than gain. No way it is 10HP IMHO of course.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I would definately not recommend Borla for the V6 and in particular the S-Series.

IMO there is drone and vibration though the RPM range. They sound like a couple of trumpets sounding off behind the car. This is the second set from them and from what I hear they are still trying to get it right with the touring version too.

Good company for customer service but face it, $650 is a lot to pay for something that don't work. I wish I had bought magnaflow or flowmaster, or .. well anything but these. HP wise, no difference that I can see and feels more like loss than gain. No way it is 10HP IMHO of course.
The new Borla touring should arrive at my house within 2 weeks. They said the complete redesign is guaranteed no drone and great sound for v6 auto. See my other thread for more info, I will be sure to keep everyone posted when they arrive.

B

·
0 Posts

Exactly why I made my own exhaust so to speak lol.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Exactly why I made my own exhaust so to speak lol.
Got to agree man. After two versions I must assume version three is not in the cards. I am not getting any response from my email message to Borla earlier this week. So I assume third strike you're out?

I really hope it works out for the guys getting the new touring muffler design. If I put anything back on, it will be something that has a reasonable cost and expectation to match. Honestly, stock sounds fine at this point and I stop hating to drive my car.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Go with the FRPP Sport axlebacks. Good low note at idle, and when you stomp on it, the sound is awesome. Don't even hear them at highway speeds.

*Warning* Aftermarket exhaust will reduce fuel mileage. At least for a while, until you get tired of going WOT to hear them. :)

·
Registered
392 Posts
The ford axlebacks sound nice but give no performance gains, the magnaflow or dynamax catbacks cost around the same, sound nice and improve power.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The ford axlebacks sound nice but give no performance gains, the magnaflow or dynamax catbacks cost around the same, sound nice and improve power.
Anything that improves airflow or lessens restriction should improve power.
If you're buying an axleback exhaust for more power, you're misguided anyway.
I prefer the sound of the FRPP Sports to all others except the latest clip of the CherryBomb which sounds awesome.
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...4-cherry-bomb-pro-mufflers-installed-vid.html

J

·
0 Posts
I haven't seen the performance numbers on the FRPP, but the problem with many of the chambered mufflers is the almost complete lack of performance gain because of their lack of flow. Flowmasters being the worst example, inspite of their name. Curious if Ford racing has a better chambered design that actually flows better. The new Dynomax seems really good for the price, and sound nice and melow.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
The Comp Magnaflows were on my top choice due to the "raw" sounding nature, but I leaned toward Dynomax since there is still the apparent Magnaflow rasp when you get on it. However, the idle of the Magnaflow is much more impressive. Dynomax is most definitely quieter than Magnaflow.

I can't wait to hear the sound clips with the Dynomax catback + headers + off road x-pipes.

But honestly, check out the Bassani system. Sounds like you might like this the most.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts