Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After getting all the way down to my harmonic balancer I could not get off the bolt that holds it on. I used a leverage bar but even in gear the crank felt like I shouldn't put any more pressure on it, it felt like I was going to bend something.

Anyone know how to keep the crank from turning while trying to remove this bolt. I have a manual tranny. How much pressure should I have to put on it to remove it. It's not one of those back asswards threads is it?

·
Registered
179 Posts
5twenty said:
After getting all the way down to my harmonic balancer I could not get off the bolt that holds it on. I used a leverage bar but even in gear the crank felt like I shouldn't put any more pressure on it, it felt like I was going to bend something.

Anyone know how to keep the crank from turning while trying to remove this bolt. I have a manual tranny. How much pressure should I have to put on it to remove it. It's not one of those back asswards threads is it?
I used an impact on mine to remove the bolt. If you put the tranny in one of the taller gears and put the emergency brake on you can wrench it without an impact. I really doubt you are going to bend anything. Just use a good 6 point socket. I think some kind of thread locker was used at the factory. No, it's not a left handed thead.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Once you remove the bolt take off the washer that's under it. Then thread the bolt back in so that when you use the 3" or 4" 3 jaw puller on it you won't damage the crankshaft threads.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hey I had the same problem. so I called my dad a 30 year mechanic to see what tricks would work to unbolt this. He told me to put the long tube to the socket and put it to the drivers side and crank the car over once . when you crank the car it will put all the cranking power to unbolt the bolt . It worked like a charm . something that i was taking 1 hour to do it did in 10 seconds. hope this helps

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I found it impossible to do on my '97, as well as the pulley on the alternator, but an impact wrench solves those problems completely.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
They make this sound so easy, but so many people hav eproblems with their Crank Pulleys. My 95 Z28 w/LT1 wasnt all that easy either and took me about an hour to do as well.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Kyle F said:
They make this sound so easy, but so many people hav eproblems with their Crank Pulleys. My 95 Z28 w/LT1 wasnt all that easy either and took me about an hour to do as well.
The bigest PITA was getting the proper size puller which is why i said use a 4" puller. It took 3 trips to get one that fit well.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the tips everyone, I'm going to give it another go this week.

Thump_rrr: at first I bought the puller for harmonic balancers with bolt holes in them. Them I found ours doesn't have them so I went out and bought a 3 jaw, 4" puller.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts