Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i just got back from driving from D.C. to Mobile and back for family issues and let the stang sit for a day, well im driving down the highway about 65 mph in 5th and the rear end feels like i ran over gravel.
i look in the rear view and nothing is behind me but im getting a weird noise from the rear end.
about 30 seconds later i see smoke billowing from the rear and a grinding noise i try to downshift and get off the highway. it wouldnt go into second after slowing down and is smoking like a chimney once it has stopped. i shut it down and got the tow truck and wife coming.
the worst part....some jackass in a red firebird drives by, revs his engine, and drives off while im waiting. what an *******.
this is the second problem in two months, the first was the a/c.
any ideas what part of the rear. bell housing..trany...im not a mechanic.
the car is at the dealership(which is closed on sundays!) so i wont know until tomarrow.
i love my car...but this is really pissing me off. my first new car. damn this sucks!!!

'05 GT, Mineral Gray, Bone stock

·
Registered
151 Posts
I assume this is a manual. There is a TSB about the 5 speed trannies failing. Some kind of gear or bearing issue. I don't know off the top of my head, but it sounds like a tranny issue, not the rear end, since you could not shift. Unless the clutch exploded???

1 - 2 of 2 Posts