Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well im new here, i have a 91 mustang gt, 5.0 with a dogamatic. now, i had an issue with a tranny cooler line breaking, and the tranny cooked itself with lack of fluid.. i was told that a 91 grand marquis transmission would work just fine, as long as i swapped the shifter arm out of the transmission itself.. i worked on the car for a while, got the new transmission in, filled it with fluid, and now the car wont start. it has no spark. the car was running fine before the removal of the old tranny. i've went through all fuses, wiring, and grounds i plugged in everything that was unplugged on the tranny after installion.. nothing was bothered or touched upon removal of the tranny. there are no wires that were pinched or broken upon removal/installation of the tranny. the car turns over like normal, but just wont start. anyone have any idea, or anything i can do to get this thing running? there is no spark coming from the coil eather.. please help. i gotta drive this thing to work tomorrow, i have no other way there.

·
Registered
145 Posts
well the coil is told to fire from the trigger in the distributor. first thing id check is if you have voltage to the coil and the distributor with the car in the on position. if you have a badass volt meter u may be able to see the trigger signal. but thats later on first thing is make sure you are getting power to both of them. by chance did you unhook the batt. before the swap? if not you may wanna try leaving it unhooked for 5min or so to reset the ecu.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes unhooked battery before swap.. checked coil by putting spark plug in wire coming from coil. no spark from there eather. is that sufficient? or should i check for power to coil like said above? the only thing i didnt swap over durring swap was neutral saftey switch from my old tranny. i was told safety switch was the same in both trannys. even so.. if i didnt swap it, the car wouldnt turn over.. am i correct?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts