Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...I have not one clue how the heck to get to the spark plugs in my 66. I have a auto trans with 289. I have tried every angle and no ratchet, wrench, plier or prayer will get in there:weeps Any suggestions??

·
Registered
831 Posts
I usually put start mine by hand and then finish with a spark plug specific socket. They are the ones with the rubber donut inside.

Welcome to the forum. I used to live in Collierville. Had a good time in TN. :)

·
Registered
503 Posts
I believe I used regular sockets for some of them with various extentions, but you may need socket swivels or swivel head ratchets as David mentioned

My 66 had the thermactor emissions on it and somehow I still managed to remove and install the spark plugs even with those stupid injectors in the way

If leverage is the problem, you might be able to used a breaker bar with various extensions/swivels and the spark plug socket to get the old ones loose enough for you to get your hand in there

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Use a deep socket. Put it on the plug first, then attach the rachet or breaker bar. On some of them there is not really enough clearance to get the deep socket over the plug with the rachet already attached.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
My 66 had the thermactor emissions on it and somehow I still managed to remove and install the spark plugs even with those stupid injectors in the way

If leverage is the problem, you might be able to used a breaker bar with various extensions/swivels and the spark plug socket to get the old ones loose enough for you to get your hand in there
Yes them plugs are a pain when the car has Thermactor Emissions aren't they? If them "stupid injectors" (or whatever they are called) wern't there, it would be so easy to do plugs. I did mine a few days ago. (all 8 even!)

Back in early 90's, i did a 6 cyl. tune up on my 289 several times, Just because its so hard to get to them couple in the middle on RH (#2 & 3). But i do like the TE. Think ill get a wrench like the one in pic above. Out of 8 plugs, there must be 4 different ways to get the plug out (different tools & the way they are used) :yup:

·
Registered
503 Posts
Yes them plugs are a pain when the car has Thermactor Emissions aren't they? If them "stupid injectors" (or whatever they are called) wern't there, it would be so easy to do plugs. I did mine a few days ago. (all 8 even!)
Most deffinitely! The injectors or whatever are actually the only remnant left on my engine of the emissions system. The PO had removed all the hoses and plugged the piece where all the injectors meet with silicone on both sides.

Ford sure knows how to piss people off when it comes to spark plugs.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
And Ford is still continuing to irritate ppl. Well, either that or calling it job security for the Techs. The 07 Focus...to R/R clutch, you have to R/R the trans first. So, $900 for a clutch. Aint that sweet? :p

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hello. :) For the #1 spark plug, I use a deep socket and a three inch extension, and for all the rest, just the deep socket without an extension. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts