Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that my gas tank was a little misaligned today when i got out of the car (see pic of it closed) and then i went to fiddle with it, you know, try and align it again. and i noticed SAND!!! Please tell me there is some way it could have gotten there without someone putting it there. I have been no where near anything closely resembling a beach with this car and i am pissed :mad:

What kind of damage am i looking at if it made it into the tank? Can i drain the tank and flush it or something? As shown in the picture provided, i don't see any of it in the filler neck or behind the cap. I only see it externally of it and slightly below as seen in the pictures. I don't remember being an a$$hole to anyone and deserving having my car messed with.

Please guys, help me out :sadcry:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I guess you coulda had a sandstorm..if you were a couple thousand miles west.

Someone put sand in your gas tank, dude. It's all over the gas opening. Who the F would do that? I', not sure if the fuel filter would catch the particles, but i wouldnt turn it on. I'd have to towed to a garage and have the tank cleaned or replaced. Then maybe get a lock for the gas cover.

People get their cars keyed, egged, TP'd, but I have to believe putting something in the gas tank is the ultimate offence! Might as well stick a gas soaked rag in the tank and light it.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Show those pictures to your insurance company and find out about making a claim for vandalism. There is no reason for you to pay the entire cost of rectifying it.

What kind of loser would do something like that ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Damn man,
I too have noticed sand around my gas cap.
Not saying someone didn't screw you.
I have noticed it when washing my car.If I open up the gas cap housing lid.(you know outer door) painted.There is sometimes sand that collects there.
When you unscrewed the black plastic gas tank lid.(where you put the fuel nozzle) Was there sand down there?
If so your screwed! But if not,I have seen it on mine from time to time.

Could this just be A problem spot on the new mustangs? Kinda like the fueling hose acting up and stopping?

I just double checked your pics.I have never had that much sand around my gas cap.Do you wash it out when,doing your car?

·
Registered
708 Posts
The motorcraft fuel filter is supposed to be a 30 micron filter. Sand is supposed to be 2500-50 microns a grain.

Filter probably caught most of it if you were lucky.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Go to the Dealer. Do not pass go. Take pictures, call Insurance company and have dealer drop, clean tank. ASAP. Buy a locking gas cap and watch your car where you park it.

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Go to the Dealer. Do not pass go. Take pictures, call Insurance company and have dealer drop, clean tank. ASAP. Buy a locking gas cap and watch your car where you park it.
Does anyone know where i can get a locking gas cap?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
The filter will screen out the sand. Don't need to worry about the engine.

But the fuel pump is in the tank. It has a screen on the pick up end. Not a filter, just a screen to keep the big junk out. If there is sand in the tank, the pump will pick it up. It will chew up the pump.

Have you ever tried to get beach sand out of your shoes? Dang near impossible. 6 months later you're still puring sand out of your shoe. The gas tank is no differant. No matter how much they flush it, there will still be some sand in there. I would replace the tank and the pump. I wouldn't try to clean it.

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Damn man,
I too have noticed sand around my gas cap.
Not saying someone didn't screw you.
I have noticed it when washing my car.If I open up the gas cap housing lid.(you know outer door) painted.There is sometimes sand that collects there.
When you unscrewed the black plastic gas tank lid.(where you put the fuel nozzle) Was there sand down there?
If so your screwed! But if not,I have seen it on mine from time to time.

Could this just be A problem spot on the new mustangs? Kinda like the fueling hose acting up and stopping?

I just double checked your pics.I have never had that much sand around my gas cap.Do you wash it out when,doing your car?
No i do not wash it when i am washing my car. to be honest it never occured to me before to wash that area.

No there was ZERO sand in the filler neck (right after you unscrew the black cap) which is the only reason i am calm enough to post about this here right now and not on the phone with Geico going nuts.

I have a 500 dollar deductible under my comprehensive insurance. It that was this covers? if so is it even worth it to go through insurance? i am sure that it can't be much more than 500 to empty the tank, change the filer, and make sure the system is clean by lushing it or visually inspecting it. So why bother to make my insurance rates go up with a claim if i am just going to have to pay the whole thing anyway?

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The filter will screen out the sand. Don't need to worry about the engine.

But the fuel pump is in the tank. It has a screen on the pick up end. Not a filter, just a screen to keep the big junk out. If there is sand in the tank, the pump will pick it up. It will chew up the pump.

Have you ever tried to get beach sand out of your shoes? Dang near impossible. 6 months later you're still puring sand out of your shoe. The gas tank is no differant. No matter how much they flush it, there will still be some sand in there. I would replace the tank and the pump. I wouldn't try to clean it.
How much would replacing it set me back? i just bought a laptop last week and i am pretty much broke until payday in 11 days.....

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you know the thing that really ticks me off is that i have never taken this car to a bad neighborhood. i only take this car to my realitive's houses where i park in their driveways, to work, to school (where i park o the 5th floor of the parking garage away from most ppl. I have NEVER taken her down to the mall, or through newark or something. she really hasn't even gone beyond 10-15 miles of where my house is. and stuff like this happens. really makes me wonder about the future of the human race. maybe i shouldn't even bother with college because we are all so freeking stupid we will kill each other off before i can even make adequate usage of my parent's financial investment into my education.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If there was no sand in the neck, That is odd!
You would figure if someone dumped A handfull of sand into your tank,It would be everywhere.
I would imagine it would be stuck into the neck as well.

Does no one else have sand inside the gas door? It has happened a lot for me!

HOTSHOT!
Where do you live? Bad weather? Salt or sand for the roads maybee.

I personally would not go dropping money for A new tank and pump untill you are 100% sure that somebody did sand your tank.

My hope is that some of the veterans around here will know more about the sand collecting around the fuel door.
I bet that's what it is!
But I don't know for A fact!

·
Registered
318 Posts
I found this while searching for fuel caps that lock. It's basically an oem replacement with a locking feature, in case you didnt want to buy a locking billet fuel door.

RockAuto Parts Catalog

In their catalog go to ford/mustang gt/fuel&air/fuel tank cap

·
Registered
468 Posts
You live in New Jersey, sand and salt are all over the roads. They can remove the tank check it out, but as above the sand would be in the filler and the pics did not look that way. Yes insurance should pay for it minus your deductible $$$. I don`t drive mine during the winter, but my daily driver does collect sand and such inside the filler door. Also when you go to a car wash allot of that stuff accumulates inside the door. Hopefully that is it,
P.S. yes get a locking gas cap any parts store will have them, all my cars have then part of the profession, good idea to have them with gas prices going up mostly kids will steal gas.

D

·
0 Posts
I found this while searching for fuel caps that lock. It's basically an oem replacement with a locking feature, in case you didnt want to buy a locking billet fuel door.

RockAuto Parts Catalog

In their catalog go to ford/mustang gt/fuel&air/fuel tank cap

I bought mine from RockAuto. Order STANT Part# 10510 or 11510. Both are $11.64 (difference is in the packaging). Works great... No CELs thrown yet.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
i have noticed sand inside of my gas door as well. no sand in the filler neck though. i just chocked it up to a windy day and aerodynamics pushing sand in through the cracks. and it accumulates right where it is in your picture. I park my car right outside my window at work and it is in the garage on the weekends. if someone messed with it, I would know it. but, a locking gas cap is good insurance as gas prices climb.

i wonder if it doesn't make it's way up to the filler neck from underneath the car? I noticed you have sand stuck underneath the spill guard under the filler opening. like it is stuck there. if someone poured sand it, it would be a pile underneath the guards overhang.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Mine has sand piled up every time I go to fill up. The a-holes w/ their huge sanding budget (and they make sure they use it all too) bury the roads around here. I just rinse it out often.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Show those pictures to your insurance company and find out about making a claim for vandalism. There is no reason for you to pay the entire cost of rectifying it.

+1... That didn't occur naturally!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts

+1 on the vandalism but you'll need to make a police report to collect on insurance.

The person or persons responsible should be horsewhipped! :madas:

·
Registered
277 Posts
God gives most of us 2 perfectly good hands and free will to do what we will. Unfortunate that there have always been and probably always will be people that choose to nothing at all to justify their existance. The Oxygen that keeps some people alive is pretty much wasted.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.