Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the tuner today from Bam tunes, and after loading up the tunes, I went to return it to stock so I could upload new maps they sent me, and BOOM! The thing failed while in 'Setup ECU' mode, throwing a 'Battery Voltage Too High' message. The car and key were off, and it's a new '12 with only 500 miles on it. I doubt the stock 12v battery is putting out all of a sudden, more than 12 volts. Problem is, they're closed, and since it failed mid-stream, my car won't start and I'm freaking stranded! if anyone has experienced this problem before and can help me get it fixed, please post or PM me. THANX!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I don't have a tune on my car, but from what I've read, you want to try every tune you have on the tuner to see if one will get you running.

If that doesn't work, you will need to phone SCT in the morning (not Bama) and get them to email you a stock tune that will get you up and running.

From there, you should update the SCT device and reload the Bama tunes on it -- its hard to tell where the tune went wrong, but you want to make sure the device software and tunes are not corrupted.

Good luck.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I had the same problem a week ago and have been working with SCT since. They will have new firmware for me tomorrow.

Don't worry easy to get back to stock! Go disconnect the negative terminal on your battery for about 10 minutes. Reconnect the battery then load stock tune. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had the same problem a week ago and have been working with SCT since. They will have new firmware for me tomorrow.

Don't worry easy to get back to stock! Go disconnect the negative terminal on your battery for about 10 minutes. Reconnect the battery then load stock tune. :bigthumbsup
Yes, what he said. I had the exact same problem. You will be fine. It was a problem with the SCT, it needed to be updated.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After about 10 times trying to get the thing to load I actually did disconnect the negative terminal(nothing in the instructions they gave me said not to do it), and it didn't change anything. I was able to get someone at AM on the phone(8:30 their time), but what I had going on was over her head, and the techs had gone home a couple hours before. She however admonished me for disconnecting the batt because she said it could cause the tune to be locked up. I didn't understand how it could hurt as the tuner wasn't connected at the time, and the ECU software doesn't get lost whenever you disconnect the battery.. I would hope if/when you lose power for whatever reason, you don't lose the loaded tune, as my experience is you can't load up a tune twice. They do this on purpose so you don't load up tunes on multiple vehicles with one tuner. My experience with auto tuners is limited to using them on diesel trucks however, and the tuner's I've used for 'em are made by companies that deal with diesel trucks only. I'm ignorant of the specifics on these tuners.
Good news though... after seven hours or so, the thing finally reloaded the stock tune, and my car actually runs. Before reading what you guys wrote, I suspected it was heat related. Only thing I could come up with since the thing kept loading progressively more each time I tried before it failed as time went on(or the car cooled down). Hopefully SCT returns my email tomorrow and I get the fix you guys are talking about. Until/unless the problem is fixed, I'm sure as hell not plugging that thing back into my OBD port.
I really appreciate all the help guys. Thank you very much!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like I got the skinny on the problem-and it's apparently common. AM told me sometimes the ECU spikes voltage right as you plug in your tuner, so EVERYTIME you're gonna plug the tuner into the car, you need to disconnect the battery for 10 minutes first. What a PITA! SCT then got back to me and said that they wanted to load a beta firmware update on my tuner to see if it solves the problem. They took control of my laptop, loaded up the new firmware, then deleted it from my computer files so I couldn't share it with anyone. I had to do some data logging for AM, so I was all over the tuner in my car after the firmware update, and so far so good!
If you're having the same problem, just contact SCT and they'll jump right on it. They were emailing me at 4am PST(I guess 7am their time).
Any questions feel free to PM me, and again...THANK YOU TO ALL WHO CHIMED IN WITH ADVICE!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Looks like I got the skinny on the problem-and it's apparently common. AM told me sometimes the ECU spikes voltage right as you plug in your tuner, so EVERYTIME you're gonna plug the tuner into the car, you need to disconnect the battery for 10 minutes first. What a PITA! SCT then got back to me and said that they wanted to load a beta firmware update on my tuner to see if it solves the problem. They took control of my laptop, loaded up the new firmware, then deleted it from my computer files so I couldn't share it with anyone. I had to do some data logging for AM, so I was all over the tuner in my car after the firmware update, and so far so good!
If you're having the same problem, just contact SCT and they'll jump right on it. They were emailing me at 4am PST(I guess 7am their time).
Any questions feel free to PM me, and again...THANK YOU TO ALL WHO CHIMED IN WITH ADVICE!
With that firmware update (I authorized the testing of it with you) you should not have to disconnect the battery at all. That is what it is supposed to handle.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With that firmware update (I authorized the testing of it with you) you should not have to disconnect the battery at all. That is what it is supposed to handle.
Yeah.. I talked to AM BEFORE I talked with SCT(you?), and was VERY relieved when SCT told me that.:bigthumbsup
And as I said...so far so good! I didn't have time to screw around with it today, but hopefully AM will be emailing me updated mapping tomorrow, so I'll have to put it back to stock, then reload the maps again. SCT asked me to keep them updated on how it's doing, so tomorrow after I do all that, I'll email them(you?). Between yesterday and tomorrow, I'll have gone back and forth between stock and 'tuner' 4 times, and changed maps something like 24 times, so it should be a really good initial indicator of how it's gonna do.
I've had a lot of experience with tuners, as I've had Duramax diesel's for the past 10 years. I've owned Diablo Sport(on an Avalanche I had back in '01), Bully Dog, Hypertech,and PPE. After experiencing a myriad of problems with the first three, and basically being left out in the cold by the (sometimes very rude-HYPERTECH) manufacturers of those fine products, I chose to go with PPE for no other reason than they're 20 minutes from me, and if I had the same kind of problems, it'd be a lot harder for them to treat me so badly when I'm standing face to face with 'em. Luckily I haven't had any prob's with PPE, so I never had to test that theory.
This brings me to SCT. In my experience with Tuners, like it seems all computer related electronics, some after-sale 'help' may be needed. How you the customer are treated at this very crucial(for you) time is THE most important factor in deciding which product to go with(again, from my experience). As I wrote in my last post, SCT emailed me at 7am (their time) THE VERY NEXT DAY. And stayed in almost immediate communication with me until the problem was solved! Having experienced the exact opposite of this with a lot of other tuner manufacturers, I cannot emphasize how much this kind of customer service/support means to me. I will gladly recommend SCT and AM to anybody asking advice on tuners.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yeah.. I talked to AM BEFORE I talked with SCT(you?), and was VERY relieved when SCT told me that.:bigthumbsup
And as I said...so far so good! I didn't have time to screw around with it today, but hopefully AM will be emailing me updated mapping tomorrow, so I'll have to put it back to stock, then reload the maps again. SCT asked me to keep them updated on how it's doing, so tomorrow after I do all that, I'll email them(you?). Between yesterday and tomorrow, I'll have gone back and forth between stock and 'tuner' 4 times, and changed maps something like 24 times, so it should be a really good initial indicator of how it's gonna do.
I've had a lot of experience with tuners, as I've had Duramax diesel's for the past 10 years. I've owned Diablo Sport(on an Avalanche I had back in '01), Bully Dog, Hypertech,and PPE. After experiencing a myriad of problems with the first three, and basically being left out in the cold by the (sometimes very rude-HYPERTECH) manufacturers of those fine products, I chose to go with PPE for no other reason than they're 20 minutes from me, and if I had the same kind of problems, it'd be a lot harder for them to treat me so badly when I'm standing face to face with 'em. Luckily I haven't had any prob's with PPE, so I never had to test that theory.
This brings me to SCT. In my experience with Tuners, like it seems all computer related electronics, some after-sale 'help' may be needed. How you the customer are treated at this very crucial(for you) time is THE most important factor in deciding which product to go with(again, from my experience). As I wrote in my last post, SCT emailed me at 7am (their time) THE VERY NEXT DAY. And stayed in almost immediate communication with me until the problem was solved! Having experienced the exact opposite of this with a lot of other tuner manufacturers, I cannot emphasize how much this kind of customer service/support means to me. I will gladly recommend SCT and AM to anybody asking advice on tuners.
Thank you for the feedback. No, you did not speak to me directly. You spoke with one of our techs and I authorized him to send you the firmware to test.

This battery voltage situation is an odd one and I imagine all tuning companies will experience it as they get to late 2011 and 2012 models. As we work through it, several successful flashes with no battery disconnects is what we need to see. The tech you spoke to will be instructed to keep in contact with you and I will continue to monitor this thread as well.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the feedback. No, you did not speak to me directly. You spoke with one of our techs and I authorized him to send you the firmware to test.

This battery voltage situation is an odd one and I imagine all tuning companies will experience it as they get to late 2011 and 2012 models. As we work through it, several successful flashes with no battery disconnects is what we need to see. The tech you spoke to will be instructed to keep in contact with you and I will continue to monitor this thread as well.
Zach at AM must of been busy today, as I didn't get any maps, and he didn't return my call(s). I still gotta mess with the tuner this weekend however, as it runs the best right now either stock or with the 'Street' tune, and currently 'Race' is loaded. After I mess around with the Street tune and stock, I'll email you guys and let you know how it went. I'll probably be in and out of the OBD port 8 times, as I wanna be able to compare stock to 'Street' accurately. I'll let you know the actual amount, and whether or not it was problem-free.
Thanx again for your help. I really appreciate it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts