Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm elbows deep in my project 1972 Coupe. I absolutly love this car. I've got me a 460 and a c-6. Great car...I just can't go any where! It's so frustrating. The symptoms my car is presenting is that even after my key returns to the resting position of "on," after turning over the engine and starting...the starter continues to run and wont shut off. Even after turning the car and the fuel pump off the starter continues to try and turn the block. I have to rush to get to the engine bay to disconnect the battery! Now, I've changed out the solenoid and the starter...same problem. I've bought the new ignition switch...but it seems like a total pain to change. No big deal....she's worth it. But perhaps I go through all of this and it wasnt the problem either? It's got me doubting all sorts of stuff. Could it be wiring? I looked every where couldn't find a thing.

Now most of yall have been doing this alot longer than me, so any guidance yall could offer would be greatly appreciated! Has any one out there any idea how to remedy this situation? I have to get my car runnin' soon cause the corps is about to transfer me clear across the country and I cant push my car the whole way there! It's driving me nuts! Thanks all!

Evan

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Try this:
Turn your ignition just to the "ON" position. Does the starter crank? if so then you have the wires (small ones) on backwards - reverse them.
If it just sits there until you turn the switch to "START" and then it won't stop then you have a stuck solenoid or - if you have a starter with a solenoid on it you may have it wired incorrectly.

·
Registered
220 Posts
same thing happened to me when i was working on a boat. the wires were backwards

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
If the solonoid is on the starter, something could be in a bind causing it not to release, such as wrong flexplate, starter drive, etc. If the starter solonoid is on the firewall, then check the voltage on the 'S' terminal it should only have voltage when the ignition switch is in the start position, if it has voltage when the ignition switch is in the run position, then either the wires are reversed or you possibly have an ignition switch problem. Post your results. Good Luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey every one, thanks for the help. When ever gunny lets me off work today I'll give all that a shot! I just replaced my starter and my solenoid and it ran fine for about a day. Checked the voltage on the S terminal before heading to PT this mornin' and it checked out fine. Damn, so today I'll try the starter switch. I'm not sure how to do it, but it seems like a total pain. I'll let yall know!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Ford solemoids are problematic - you may go through several before you get a good one. (The box says the part is new - not that it works)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SO...
New Starter.
New Solenoid.
New Ignition switch.
Checked all wiring.
Still doing it. But, I unplugged the leads coming from the ignition switch and it's still doing it so I guess you're right man. The "new" solenoid i got off the shelf must be bad. I went and got a new one, gonna put it on tomorrow. See what happens. Thanks for all the help every one. I'll keep yall posted.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I've had the same thing happen to me before too. Those ford solenoids are awful and are known to fail often. Good thing they are cheap and easy to change.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I don't use the solenoids anymore - I buy commercial ones used in pallet jacks. They are constant duty and made to handle a lot more power so they don't weld stuck.
They don't have the "I" wire for the coil and are externally grounded but there are work-arounds for those things.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.