Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been having several issues with my regular 302 and have been searching back through parts catalogs trying to figure out my issue. I then noticed that in summit racing they listed my lunati voodoo cam as for the application of the 302 ho with the different firing order!! thanks jegs claiming it fit sb ford...anyways, but by all i can figure this should mean that the valve timing on my motor should be off on 4 of the 8 cylinders and definately needs to be replaced. I read people talking about changing timing to resolve this issue but it seems to me that as long as your crankshaft and camshaft timing arent right that this will never work correctly. Right? so i am assuming that i need to replace either the cam or the crank? Please help, thanks

·
Registered
186 Posts
You do not need to replace anything ...just rewire your distributor cap to the correct firing order.
HO and non Ho cams are interchangeable .
The only difference is when a particular cylinder fires in relation to the other ones .

A "regular" 302 is firing order is 15426378 starting at #1 on the cap and going counterclockwise the "HO" order is 13726548 again starting from #1 and going counterclockwise

The solution to your quandary is a 3 minute fix tops ;)

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Actually, as I understand, the reason for the change in firing order is to relieve the stress on the #1 main bearing and the main bearing webbing in the front portion of the block. The old firing order had #1 and #5 cyls. firing consecutively.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts