Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I tried to start my 65 coupe (289) tonight and it just wouldn't turn over. Since I changed to pertronix ignition a few days ago, I thought it might be related to low power to the unit (the circuit showed a full 12v on my meter, so I wired directly to the coil). I did as the troubleshooting instructions suggested and hooked a jumper from the positive side of the battery to the positive pertronix wire. Voila...the engine started.

I then turned the motor off, ran a wire from the ignition switch to the ignitor (like others have posted), and tried starting the motor again. This time, as soon as I turned the key to "start", everything BLACKED OUT! The amp light went out, as did the courtesy lights...everything.

A few minutes later, the courtesy lights came back, but when I tried starting...blackout again. Well, I've learned by now that when mysteries happen the best thing to do is walk away for a while.

A few hours later I came back, turned the key, and the car started right up. Weird.

Do you think this was an overheated starter? What's going on that causes the total blackout? I'd love to know...

Thanks!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
wow...Usually inside of 15 minutes, our knowledgebase comes up with something!

This blackout thing just got a little scarier...;)

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
It sounds like you have a bad connection, I would look first at the battery terminals even if they don't look too corroded on the outside I would still clean them, then the battery cables they can go bad inside where they are crimped, check your ground wire from the passenger head to the firewall. I wouldn't walk away from this problem, if its intermittent, it could leave you stuck somewhere. Good Luck.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I agree with Rex.... Intermittant starting, combined with blackout is a classic connection problem. Remove battery cables and clean them and posts thoroughly. Reinstall and make sure cable head is round (ie, not misshapen by being muscled by large pliers) and tighten securely. I'd also use the battery cleaner tool or a wire brush to clean all connections on the solenoid. I doubt you've overheated the starter, but you should also clean and secure that connection, as well as the ground to the block. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.