Ford Mustang Forum banner

help! transporting mustang for sandblasting

2010 Views 7 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  'Pure Breed'
Hey crew, I'm looking for help and suggestions. I have a 68 coupe, no bolt on exterior front metal (fenders, nose, hood, motor & tranny), it still has steering, front suspension that's not removed. i need to transport this to the sandblaster via a flatbed tow truck. how much can i remove and still make the car mobile. i have new upper & lower control arms, brakes, steering & suspension kits to install so i don't care if it gets damages by sand. i would like to have as much blasted as i could and thought of removing the shock, spring, upper & lower contol arms but i dont know what it would do to the mobility of the car. any suggestions? they're only blasting the windshield forward so rear end will be in the car.
See less See more
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Just whatever it needs to have stable wheels on it, that's all.
thats what i'm asking. at what point is it unstable? i have someone to remove the springs for me if i need to. can i remove upper & lower control arms, springs, & shocks? leave the spindles, brakes & steering?or will that make it drop too low and make it a bear to move?
without the steering connected the front tires will turn in whatever random direction they want to because they won't be linked together. And you should have the front suspension in place too.

Sandblasting makes an enormous mess of your car and the sand gets everywhere, so make sure you have everything tape up well that you don't want sand to get into, and make sure they tarp the car off well. I got my roof sandblasted and I'll never get a car sandblasted again.
See less See more
the spindle is attached to the car by the upper and lower control arms and the strut rod. without those the spindle falls off. you don't need the shock but you should leave the spring in place as well as all the tie rod, center link and steering gear.
Make something like this. OR break it down to just the shell and four/five guys can pick it up and move on and off a trailer and put it on horses.

Attachments

See less See more
if you want to get rid of all the front suspension you can weld a large wheeled caster to some square tubing make mounting tabs of angle iron and bolt it in where your front cross member goes. that is what the guy at my body shop did when he was working on my car. the single caster in front that swiveled made it pretty easy to move around i guess. if you want to leave the suspension. here is what my car looked like on the way to the blaster.
See less See more
Thank you everyone. I suppose if I had thought about my front suspension I would have realized the wheels would have fallen off. I'm at the point that your car was on the way to the blaster mccance. I just wanted to have the blasters also remove all that 40 yr old road gunk built up in there around the suspension. To Sick467, thats a great idea too. I'll be sure to jack the rear of the car and make sure the rear drums aren't frozen solid if I do.
See less See more
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.