Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found this weird metal electric bus bar looking thingy on my dash while trying to troubleshoot some other things, and I cannot find a screw to fit it. Before I go crazy, is this thing supposed to be a ground and how/what kind of screw attaches to it? See the pics for what I mean. The first link is where it is normally, the second is me lifting it out of the way a bit. Thanks!

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
Looks like nothing's been attached to it in a long time. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't worry except I've been having a devil of a time with problems with that part of the dash for quite some time now (like, over a year). My dash illumination doesn't work, my hazards don't work, and while the LED for the rear defrost comes on, it doesn't defrost (which just cost me 95 bucks for a speeding ticket since I couldn't see the cop following me, lol). If this is a ground its a big honking one to be missing.

·
Registered
575 Posts
its not a ground..your car is an 89 correct?, but i bet you replaced the dash. i have to look at my dash but a screw goes there, or its the hole for the panel that goes underneath. if you send me a pic father back.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah the car is an 89. I do not have another picture, but it is located on the lower right of the dash switch bezel (the part of the dash that the headlight switch, hazard switch, etc seat into. It is above the very rear plastic of the dash (pictured), but below the very front plastic part that covers the lower part of the steering shaft, basically the part of the dash your knees would probably hit in an accident.

It would be weird that it would be just some random heavy duty metal piece when the rest of the dash seems to be mostly affixed to plastic. But still, it might be just that.

While I'm here, anybody know where the front speaker channel "splits" between the front dash and door speakers?

·
Registered
143 Posts
There is a metal brace/bent metal tube that is a support for the dash-gauge bezel, and it goes down to the bottom, where it would bolt in, Under the Knee Plate Under the Steering wheel.

I have an 89'
The only original ground spot I found was near the Curtousy dinger while ive been working on the dash.

·
Registered
92 Posts
There is a metal brace/bent metal tube that is a support for the dash-gauge bezel, and it goes down to the bottom, where it would bolt in, Under the Knee Plate Under the Steering wheel.

I have an 89'
The only original ground spot I found was near the Curtousy dinger while ive been working on the dash.
Yep, that is what it is for. I took my dash-guage bezel off several months ago, It is just a brace attached to the bezel that screws in at the bottom of the dash.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome, thanks for the help guys! I had hoped I had found some miracle fix for my dash lights problem, but I guess not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.