Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, thanks for viewing my thread. i have a 2005 mustang gt, im looking to get like 350-400 hp out of the car, but im on a budget. what are some of the first things i should get, or upgrade. i was looking to buy a diablosport predator. i hear that adds 17-22 hp depending on your octane, but also i was looking to do a muffler upgrade ( 40 series flowmasters becuase im on a budget ) and a bbk cold air intake. if i got all three of these i would have to reprogram the car, and i dont know how to do that. if i either got just the tuner, i mean that wouldn't add that much power, but i would spend the rest of my money on cosmetics. or i would forget about the tuner till the last thing i do, and upgrade my intake, muffler, and other stuff that you guy's suggest. so.. in that case.. any suggestions!? thanks alot!

·
Registered
494 Posts
hey, thanks for viewing my thread. i have a 2005 mustang gt, im looking to get like 350-400 hp out of the car, but im on a budget. what are some of the first things i should get, or upgrade. i was looking to buy a diablosport predator. i hear that adds 17-22 hp depending on your octane, but also i was looking to do a muffler upgrade ( 40 series flowmasters becuase im on a budget ) and a bbk cold air intake. if i got all three of these i would have to reprogram the car, and i dont know how to do that. if i either got just the tuner, i mean that wouldn't add that much power, but i would spend the rest of my money on cosmetics. or i would forget about the tuner till the last thing i do, and upgrade my intake, muffler, and other stuff that you guy's suggest. so.. in that case.. any suggestions!? thanks alot!
Cai and tune w/sct is the usual but my personal opinion is gears.They make a difference not in hp but something u can really feel........410's for me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
first off i would get a tuner because your gonna have to have it for the upgrades. i would recomend a C & L intake and tuner combo its a lot cheaper to buy them together. your going to have to spend quite a bit of money to hit that 400 mark, so with each upgrade just ask and u will get the answer your lookin for

·
Registered
424 Posts
let me tell you something ive learned about a budget... if you get into modding it will grow with out warning before you know it you will be dropping money on stuff you never would have though you would spend money on. Id recommend doing things right once if you are going to do your exhaust do your exhaust dont just get a muffler thats weak. go for it man. get the tuner and cold air intake first and see how that goes. you will probably love it and want a blower ha. Also +1 on the gears. you wont make any horsepower but it will do more than anything else you were thinking about doing. your car be A LOT more fun/quick

·
Banned
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah but like if i buy the tuner, and then upgrade stuff i dont know how to re-tune it, and i dont know how to tune it in the first place, i mean i guess i could figure it out, but i have someone who would do it for me, unless.. is it really easy? but for the intake to, i'd have to have someone install that for me.

does anyone know how to reprogram the computer after getting the tuner, like maybe for a muffler or something, i really want a muffler for the sound and hp gain, then ill look into intakes, but if someone can help tell me if its hard or not to re-tune the car, like from a scale from 1-10 or how i would do it, please lemme know :)

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
You can hit 540 RWHP on a stock S197. The only things changed being the gearing, converter, cams, heads, and a DAMN good tuner. :D

The crazy world of Stock Eliminator.

·
Registered
25 Posts
u wont need a tune for just mufflers and dont expect a hp gain they are basically for sound. if u get a cai/tuner combo the tune u need is already programmed in u just plug it into your car and follow the on-screen instructions. it is very simple. as far as retuning it after future mods, u will have to have one emailed to u from a company that specializes in that. or have it dyno tuned if your close to any shops that do that.

·
Banned
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yyeah, but idk - i just read your post furyv8, and i like what your saying, but im just not good with this stuff, i dont know what im doing, i want to keep things basic. i kinda wanna do a muffler for the sound, but the tuner will give me better gas mileage and also alot of horsepower and will fix the lag in the acceleration. im saying either or becuase i dont know how to re-tune the car if i get the muffler, or another upgrade. =[

·
Banned
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
alright, im gonna make some phone calls tomorrow and get some opinions. thanks a whole bunch guys!

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
i wanna know what kinda cams and tuner your using!
Hahahahah! Well, I learned recently there's a drag racing event called Stock Eliminator - It has some very strict rules. Essentially... You have a STOCK car. You can switch out cams, but can't change the timing. I think you can switch out the heads, too. Everything has too be basically stock, besides that. You run the car on race fuel. You have drag radial tires. And you need a team of PROFESSIONAL amazing tuners (people, not a device lol! :shigrin ).

And you can make a STOCK S197 Mustang GT run in the 10's.

·
Registered
424 Posts
yyeah, but idk - i just read your post furyv8, and i like what your saying, but im just not good with this stuff, i dont know what im doing, i want to keep things basic. i kinda wanna do a muffler for the sound, but the tuner will give me better gas mileage and also alot of horsepower and will fix the lag in the acceleration. im saying either or becuase i dont know how to re-tune the car if i get the muffler, or another upgrade. =[
to be honest with you until about a year ago i was in the same position. This forum helps alot with "how to do" and things like that. Check out Mustang Parts & Performance - American Muscle for parts they also have how to do sections. I know that you can do your own cold air intake you just got to get under there and go step by step. no matter what you will learn something and feel great about it. you can get a set of mufflers for about 200 or spend 300 and get some cat backs. The turner isnt that hard you can do a lot of it yourself. I know with a cold air intake and a tune you can make a lot of power with the 05+ engines. just dont be afraid to try it yourself thats where all the fun is. There is something really great about building power yourself with out taking your car to the shop. Id recommend a K&N cai or the C&L i hear great things about their tuner/cai packages. id go with either or if i had 05+ i have a 99 gt with a K&N I didnt even get it tuned until recently thats after an intake manifold cai full exhaust, pulleys, i didnt get it tuned till i got the gears. but i mean its up to you. I think you could make a lot of power out of the car if you do it right and plan it out. it would suck to go and put in a set of mufflers then later decided you want to do it over cause you arent happy with it or something. thats just my 2 cents! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
You can hit 540 RWHP on a stock S197. The only things changed being the gearing, converter, cams, heads, and a DAMN good tuner. :D

The crazy world of Stock Eliminator.
Not a GT. Maybe a stock Gt500 or Cobra Jet with the heads being ported stockers.
Original Poster.
Get a Cold Air intake and Tuner Package. Get it from either Brenspeed, BamaCHips or Tillman.
Get either a JLT, C&L or Steeda.
This will add 20-30hp and you will feel the difference.
The tuner is really easy to use.
If you add mufflers you will not need a new tune.
Mufflers will add only 1-4hp and you will not feel it. They are for sound and looks.
If you use Brenspeed for the cold air and tuner and then buy another part from them that needs a new tune they will give you the new tune for free.
You will never on a budget get 400rwhp on these cars.
The cheapest way to get 400rwhp is a Vortech nonintercooled supercharger. That will run $3700. Then you will need it installed.

Then again I dont know your finances. But Im assuming on a budget means a couple grand.

·
Registered
440 Posts
+1 jaja6009. I'm in the ballpark of 10 grand for 400 N/A hp to the wheels.

·
Banned
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
oh dang, jeez, thanks guys so much! i finally made up my decision! im doing a C&L Cai/tuner and then doing the muffler later on. my friend words on vics all the time and he said that he too is very familiar with the mustang. so now thati know all this info, thanks to all you guys, especially fury for giving me an in depth tutorial on the stuff, now i just need a good place to buy it ahah! any suggestions!?

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Actually after reading my post the cheapest way to get 400rwup would be nitrous.
A C&L and tuner is a very good choice and you will like the power and the respomsivness of the new tune.

·
Registered
298 Posts
amercanmuscle.com or rpmoutlet.com is good for packages definitely go with c&l intake and i personally like the diablosport tuner

·
Registered
781 Posts
also when getting a tuner from AM they will send u free tunes for any new upgrades u add in the future. I order all my stuff from them except if i find a better deal somewhere else which isnt often. They are my go to and have a great service department and are super helpful and respond to emails very fast.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.