Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

help!! wheel spacer/ lug stud

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  RAT 
#1 ·
well so im driving home from va beach after having turkey with the in-laws, then bam this god awful racheting noise comes from no where, so i pull over and cant find anything visibley wrong(dark out)and im a few miles from home so i take her home and then this morning i find this:

sooo how can i fix this?? can i get a new stud welded on, or do have to replace crap? do i need a better wheel spacer? i have the spacers because otherwise the front tires rub the coilovers. any advice or help greatly appreciated!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
I've been researching getting some spacers/adapters for my car and it looks like you've just demonstrated a point I've come across in other posts. Spacers + offset wheels + stock studs = increased torsional stress on the studs. Replacing the studs seems easy and straight forward from the alldata website instructions. Evidently hardened studs are the fix...anybody know a good source for those?

#4 ·
Why don't you buy some quality spacers in the first place. Maximum Motorsports sell 1/4" ones that are made for your car. Hub centric too. I got 'em and they fit real nice. I used 1" spacers on the rear and they had the studs with them.

#5 ·
the shop i had install my coilovers called and told me i needed front wheel spacers because the tires rubbed, so they bought their own and put them on and then charged me for them, looks like they were crappy spacers and i ddint know enough about wheel spacers at the time, i def know now.

#7 ·
I run the H&R spacers with tuilt in studs for them when I put on my skinnies.

How to fix is easy.

Take of wheel
Undo the brake caliper mounting bolts(2), remove caliper and then take off rotors.
Take an air hammer(preferibbly that way you have conistent force) and hit the front of the stud and push it back out the hole towardes the engine.
Then take the new stud and place it in the hole(flatside of the stud head facing the center) and take the air hammer and drive the studs back through the spindle away from the engine.
Put on rotor and rebolt the calipers and wheels.

Becarefule of the ABS sensors!!!

You can also use a mallet or hammer but I prefer the air hammer as it will have consistency in the pressure being applied to the hub/sindle.

#8 ·
I have 1/4" hubcentric spacers on mine also.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/spacers.asp

at the bottom of this page are the 1/4" spacers. You must check the amount of thread engagement on your car to ensure that at least 6 threads are fully engaged after installing the wheel spacer.

Another thing you should also do is torque your lug nuts to at least 80 ft.-lbs.

Steeda has 2 1/2" and 3" studs. With the 2 1/2" studs you can use the stock lug nuts. The 3" studs you will need an open end lug nut.

http://www.steeda.com/store/-catalog/wheelstuds.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.