Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, So I have a 66, with the inline 6 motor and have the 3 speed manual transmission. The synchros are absolutely terrible and grinding in every gear and its getting worse.
I want to switch to a t5 instead of rebuilding these awful transmissions but I have no idea what i need.

Is there a kit?

Do i need a new clutch and flywheel? If yes can i get recommendations? if no, should i consider upgrading them anyways???

What year and model t5 do i need?

Will i be able to keep the same rear end on my car or will i need to switch to an 8"?

Pros and cons to switching??

I know this is a question answered many many times, but ive tried finding these specific questions and I cant find exactly what I am looking for.
Thanks for the help in advance!

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
You can keep your clutch linkage, bell housing and flywheel. You would need a T-5 Adapter Plate to bolt the T-5 to your bell housing. You will need a T-5 cross member and the drive shaft will need to be customized in length and for the T-5 yoke. You can keep your rear end the same.

I recommend searching for a freshly remanufactured T-5 because what is out three is all old and about to fail.

You would do well with anything from a V-8 Mustang from 1985 through 1993.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts