Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought an 88 convertible 4cyl yesterday. The seller took the stereo out of it and just left wires hanging. The top and heater control don't work now. Anybody know if they're connected? couldn't find any blown fuses.

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I got a 93 Vert I am working on. Now to your problem.
Fuse box diagram what goes to where.
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/MustangFuseBox.gif
On the top do you hear the pump behind the back seat running with switch? Wiring diagram on it. Takes alot of power to run maybe fuse line or circuit breaker in fuse box.
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/mustang88VertTopMotorCkt.gif
On the stereo I hate people that do that.
This may help on the heater controls. Unsure where fuse is will try to find out. I maybe a fuse line near starter solinoid.
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/mustang88AC_Controls.gif
Notice all from one site. Nice one to save. I will try to get wiring on stereo and repost. Site has tendecy to timeout before I get all thru typing and can't post. Maurice
Edit. Link came from this site also a nice one to save. Notice at top lots of info on lots of years of Mustang. Covers alot of the Mustang.
Interior & Instruments - Mustang tech and info links
stereo wiring colors.
1988-89 Ford Mustang Stereo Wiring Information

·
Registered
198 Posts
The radio wiring should not effect the top or the heater controls, but , if he left the radio wires hanging, who knows what else he may have done. I would troubleshoot each problem seperately.

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts
I agree. All should have separate fuse etc. But who knows what is left unplugged when he removed the radio. That is a thought maybe he "accidently" unplugged the heater controls and top controls. A quick easy look maybe solve all. Maurice

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found the electrical problem for the top and heater

I called the seller about the problem with the top and heater. He said you have to push up on the steering wheel. When I did this the heater kicked on and the top went down. As soon as you let go of the steering wheel everything stops working. Guess I'll have to crawl under and look for a short. Good thing I'm stripping it and putting a V8 in it.

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts
Odd. Never would have thought of that. Now putting a v-8 in it have you thought of install or converting to a 2.3 turbo. How about a look. A 9sec 4cylinder. Maurice
Of course this he has taken it to the extreme. But this a street car with interior.
Jon Huber's 9 second Mustang - AOL Video

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Better yet, just replace the ignition switch. Holy crap that's a new one. I didn't think about a tilt wheel being able to move the pushrod for the switch.

The o.e. ignition switch is known for causing all kinds of weird electrical gremlins. It was bad enough that Ford issued a TSB and a recall. Tom Renzo says if it's the original switch, Ford will still replace it under the recall. Since I highly doubt that the ignition switch is still a stocked FoMoCo part at local dealerships, they'll probably just buy the same aftermarket replacement part from the same automotive chain store you frequent and put it in for you. While theirs is free, it comes at a cost (time). You can go ahead and buy the switch, install it yourself, and never be without the car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Too many electrical problems

Talk about electrical gremlins. The coolant fan also isn't working. After going thru the joy of taking the intake off to get to the coolant temp sensor when it was 100 degrees out I found out from another post that it's probably the fan controller under the dash.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts