Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay guys, so it is all being set in motion this week. i am buying a 5.0 motor (pictured below) it has after market roller rockers, CAI and msd ignition (and some mighty fine looking head covers, if i dont say so myself) and i am stealing this beast for 350 bucks. the only thing is, i get everything including harness and ECU, except the starter and alternator.

does anybody know if i can use my 3.8 starter and/or alternator on the 5.0?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
painted valve covers and intake, plus it appears to be just a MSD cap not a full MSD dist,.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
painted valve covers and intake, plus it appears to be just a MSD cap not a full MSD dist,.
....okay, i guessed at the cai and msd, he never specified.....and regardless, my question still stands......

R

·
0 Posts
$350.00 that a good deal......

before you install i recommend freshening up the bottom end.....

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
That a stock speed density rubber inlet, and just an MSD cap on a stock distributor. Just letting you know, if that was part of the price/deal. In other words, that's no CAI or MSD ignition.

It's a 1987 or 1988 (not California), so if you're getting the ECU with it, you're getting a speed density system. I don't see a mass air meter, and the upper intake plate is the old style.

You need to chunk the ECU and upgrade it to mass air unless you keep it internally stock.

The starter most likely won't work, unless you get lucky and they have the same mounting pattern. Same for the alternator.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That a stock speed density rubber inlet, and just an MSD cap on a stock distributor. Just letting you know, if that was part of the price/deal. In other words, that's no CAI or MSD ignition.

It's a 1987 or 1988 (not California), so if you're getting the ECU with it, you're getting a speed density system. I don't see a mass air meter, and the upper intake plate is the old style.

You need to chunk the ECU and upgrade it to mass air unless you keep it internally stock.

The starter most likely won't work, unless you get lucky and they have the same mounting pattern. Same for the alternator.
it is an 87 motor, and no, that was not part of the deal/price, he never claimed MSD or cai, i am just not familiar with 5.0's so i just guessed because it looked like it. i am getting the ECU/wiring harness with the motor, and i plan on keeping it stock for now, so it should work

the only thing he said was it DID have aftermarket roller rockers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts