Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so i have a 89 notch that was a 4 banger, but was converted over with ALL the v8 parts from a wrecked 88 gt with sd. The motor is 100pct stock, and has 1k on it from a freshening yrs ago. it has sat for about the last 4 yrs. i am looking to make a streetable notch. 350 or 400 hp. i plan on going with 3.73 gears, a tremec, redoing all the suspension, etc....what i am unsure on is the best engine components to get to 400hp? i would like to achieve this with out a charger or the bottle. i also am wondering if i can and should use this stock bottom end? if so what intake, head, and cam combo is gonna be the best for my goal? injectors, and mass air meter sizes as well? the car is speed density as well so i know i must convert that as well. i want to be able to smoke most street cars i encounter, but still maintain driveability, and be reliable as well. thanks for the help fellas.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
At least you realize converting to mass air is a must.

To make 400 engine hp, you'll have to have parts chosen from these.

Heads:
AFR 185
TFS High Port
Brodix M1
Edelbrock Victor Jr
Ford Racing Z304
Dart Pro 1 195

Intake:
Holley Systemax II
TFS R series
BBK R series
Edelbrock Performer RPM II

Cam:
Comp Cams Xtreme Energy cam
COMP Cams® - Cam Details

You could achieve 400 with the stock bottom end parts like pistons, rods, and crank but it'd be highly recommended to use ARP hardware throughout. Stock bolts are worthless. You would also be advised to have everything balanced.
The rods are forged.
The pistons are forged.
The crank is cast, but can handle 400.
4340 forged steel would be a waste of time, effort, and money because you'd be nowhere near needing it at that power level. Unless you're going past 550 hp, or going to be seeing 6500+ rpm on a consistent basis, you don't need 4340 unless you just want to spend money.
If you want better than stock material, a good compromise would be 5140 cast steel. It's stronger than stock, good up to 550 hp, and is cheaper than 4340.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Eagle I noticed the cam you suggested was good for 3.55 to 3.73 gears. You think it'd still be optimal for 4.10s?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At least you realize converting to mass air is a must.

To make 400 engine hp, you'll have to have parts chosen from these.

Heads:
AFR 185
TFS High Port
Brodix M1
Edelbrock Victor Jr
Ford Racing Z304
Dart Pro 1 195

Intake:
Holley Systemax II
TFS R series
BBK R series
Edelbrock Performer RPM II

Cam:
Comp Cams Xtreme Energy cam
COMP Cams® - Cam Details

You could achieve 400 with the stock bottom end parts like pistons, rods, and crank but it'd be highly recommended to use ARP hardware throughout. Stock bolts are worthless. You would also be advised to have everything balanced.
The rods are forged.
The pistons are forged.
The crank is cast, but can handle 400.
4340 forged steel would be a waste of time, effort, and money because you'd be nowhere near needing it at that power level. Unless you're going past 550 hp, or going to be seeing 6500+ rpm on a consistent basis, you don't need 4340 unless you just want to spend money.
If you want better than stock material, a good compromise would be 5140 cast steel. It's stronger than stock, good up to 550 hp, and is cheaper than 4340.
ok, thanks for the reply. am i better off just getting a new bottom end as well? if so do you have any recommendations on an already put together short block? or am i better off redoing my current? thanks alot.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
400hp on a 302 is gonna require some serious RPM's, so I would strongly recommend getting the bottom end balanced after you buy a good set of after market rods, the bolts in the stock rods are just to small to handle that kind of power reliably.

Like Eagle said, the other stock bottom end components should be fine, unless you want to go with different pistons to give you more compression, like around 10.5:1.

I would go a little bigger on the cam though, like the Magnum 286 (my first choice), or the Xtreme Energy 282.

Plan on your peak hp being somewhere in the area of 6500-7000rpm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.