Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys recently I have been having a problem with my battery draining slowly overnight. It gets down low enough to where it can just start and sometimes if it sits for a few days it will get so low it cant even start. I just replaced the battery about 2 weeks ago, so I know the battery itself is good. I also just got the alternator tested and its good also. So it has to be something that is physically draining the battery slowly.

Now when i bought the car about 2 months ago they told me that it had an after market "Viper" security system installed in the car. One of the features it has is that before each time I want to start the car I have to press the unlock button on the remote. Also with this security system there is a little LED that was in stalled on the dash (pic below) and this little light flashes all night long so this could be one of the problems. here is a pic of the little light.

Also, one thing that I have noticed is that the on the stereo the little rectangle box that has the time in it (pic below) is always hot. When I come out to the car in the morning this little part is hot so there has to be power going to it. Here is a pic of what im talking about

Any input or help you guys have as to why my battery is being drained or how to stop this is much appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey guys recently I have been having a problem with my battery draining slowly overnight. It gets down low enough to where it can just start and sometimes if it sits for a few days it will get so low it cant even start. I just replaced the battery about 2 weeks ago, so I know the battery itself is good. I also just got the alternator tested and its good also. So it has to be something that is physically draining the battery slowly.

Now when i bought the car about 2 months ago they told me that it had an after market "Viper" security system installed in the car. One of the features it has is that before each time I want to start the car I have to press the unlock button on the remote. Also with this security system there is a little LED that was in stalled on the dash (pic below) and this little light flashes all night long so this could be one of the problems. here is a pic of the little light.

Also, one thing that I have noticed is that the on the stereo the little rectangle box that has the time in it (pic below) is always hot. When I come out to the car in the morning this little part is hot so there has to be power going to it. Here is a pic of what im talking about

Any input or help you guys have as to why my battery is being drained or how to stop this is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Hey guy i would check how the radio is wired it should behooked up to a switchable power source meaning radio is only powered when ignition switch is on or turned to assorory.If not that check the ground connections o car ,as far as the red l e d that is to showstatus of alarm that draws hardly any juice.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
I would disconnect the Viper from its power source (look for a fuse, probably in-line). If that solves the problem you know where the source is.

Does the car have any add-on audio equipment? Amps would be a good thing to check, particularly for subwoofers...

·
Registered
190 Posts
the blinking led is not enough draw to drain your battery in a few days.it will take a month.looks like the radio went bad and the display it's shorted all times on,and this is killing your battery.;)

·
Registered
323 Posts
If you have or can get a hold of a ammeter connect that in series with the battery doesn't matter positive or negitive. (You obviously have some sort of parasitic draw on the battery) Once you've connected the ammeter start pulling fuses with the key out of the ignition. Judging by what your saying with the radio I'd start with that one. As your pulling have someone look at the ammeter (its alot easier this way) once the ammeter reads no amps then you've found whats draining the battery and you can further diagnose the problem from there.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you have or can get a hold of a ammeter connect that in series with the battery doesn't matter positive or negitive. (You obviously have some sort of parasitic draw on the battery) Once you've connected the ammeter start pulling fuses with the key out of the ignition. Judging by what your saying with the radio I'd start with that one. As your pulling have someone look at the ammeter (its alot easier this way) once the ammeter reads no amps then you've found whats draining the battery and you can further diagnose the problem from there.

Hope that helps

let us know how you made out

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.